Foamies, Slimies? Huh?

KnitsByMama
on 9/24/12 8:05 am - MO
VSG on 10/16/12
 What exactly are these?! I hear people talking about them but I honestly don't know what they are. Can someone please explain. I feel like it's some sort of VSG inside joke I'm not aware of yet. 
Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 9/24/12 8:15 am
VSG on 10/09/12
No joke...from what I have read so far and some very graphic descriptions, I would love to NOT ever find out first hand what it feels like.....not sure though if there are any who have managed to avoid this. I will sure give it my best shot.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Steven S.
on 9/24/12 8:16 am - MA
VSG on 04/12/12
It's usually when you eat too much or too fast.   You know that feeling when think you're going to be sick and your mouth waters?  Followed up by a feeling of yucky mucous foam that you can't get rid of for like an hour.

I've had a few times early post op.  I"m 5 months out and never get it any more (unless I really overeat my sleeve)

califsleevin
on 9/24/12 8:31 am - CA
I guess that I feel a bit left out on it, too, as I have read about them but never experienced it. It must by like dumping with the RNY - some are more prone to it than others. Hopefully, you can avoid it, too, but still take the threat of it as a gentle (or maybe not so gentle if it happens to you!) reminder to explore the boundaries of your sleeve with care.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

(deactivated member)
on 9/24/12 8:35 am - Wiesbaden, Germany
DS on 10/08/13
I usually hear this more in the lapband world but it seems to be pecular to any restrictive WLS.

If you eat too fast, eat too much, don't chew enough or if the world spins on its axis, you may have a retch! effect and slobber like a nervous cat.  It's HORRIBLE and, thus far, more unpredictable with the band (I haven't had a sleeve misexperience of this sort thus far).

What can you do to avoid it?  Sip, sip, sip to keep hydrated.  Eat, eat, eat what you are supposed to in the quantities prescribed.  Stay calm and focused on your journey.

If you do foam or slime, try to stay calm and let it work itself out of your system.  It WILL pass and staying calm seems to help hasten it (as well as avoid chest pain, which is probably a panic attack).

INgirl
on 9/24/12 8:39 am
I've only experienced it recently, well past a year out.. I ate too much/too fast as I was distracted and on vacation and not paying too close attention. It lasted for 20 mins, wasn't horrible- just unpleasant. Just eat slow, measured amounts and don't push your limits and you may never experience it, totally in your control.  I just salivated and was afraid to swallow as it would have overloaded my stomach at that point.. I knew I was in for it 5 mins after my last bite, I had pushed past satisfied, to full, to overfull.. eating too quickly for my stomach to register..
happiegirl
on 9/24/12 8:40 am - Albuquerque, NM
VSG on 04/24/12
Well if it does happen to you...you won't do it again...I promise.  It only took me once or twice to learn my limit.  This only happened to me month one and hasn't happened again.  I don't push past that point.

HW: 351 Pre-op: 272  Current: 140.7 Goal:160      M1:14 M2:14  M3:11  M4:10 M5:10  M6:12  M7:8  M8:6 M9: 6 M10:7 M11: 6 M12: 4 M13: 5 M14:7 M15: 4 M16: 3 M17: 1   M18: 4

"Glory lies in the attempt to reach one's goal and not in reaching it." - Gandhi

hollykim
on 9/24/12 2:54 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
foamies and slimeys are really terms for the same thing.

you might feel like you are going to vomit,and your mouth starts to water and your esophagus contracts just kie any other time you have thrown up.

but what comes up is foamy and bubbly and slick and slimy and totally disgusting. after that cuouple mouthfuls of slime then the food usually comes back up too.

pray that you continue to be left out of this VSG secret,lol

rhearob
on 9/24/12 3:20 am - TN

Foamies and Slimies are the same thing.  They are caused by overeating or eating too fast or not chewing well enough.  What happens is that as the stomach gets full and food starts pressing against the top of the stomach, it causes a reflexive production of saliva and mucous to try and help lubricate the food down and pre-digest some of it.

The way you prevent this is by following the rules very closely.  I don't know anyone who hasn't had it at some point.  Like INGirl, when I have it I know I caused it.  Just last week I was in a hurry to finish dinner and get to group.  I ate too fast, and probably didn't chew enough.  I not only had the foamies for which I had to spit into a bottle in the car, but also got a horrible case of hiccups.  All I can say is its a good thing I wasn't driving.

So heres the rules for eating:

1.  No drinking 30 minutes before or after eating - you need room in your stomach for food not liquids.

2.  Take at least 30 minutes to eat.  If you finish your meal in less time you ate too fast.

3.  Plan and measure your portions, under-eat your sleeve (see many excellent posts by Frisco on this topic)

4.  Chew every bite a minimum of 20 times.

5.  Bite size pieces - think those little erasers you had in school as a kid.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

Pinkchickadee
on 9/24/12 3:53 am
 Again Rhearob, you are  awesomely helpful. Thank you!

Starting Weight:275 CW:189 SW:??  Goal:169

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 79 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 291 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 343 views