Will be 4 weeks out on Monday and stall has lasted a week! HELP! PLEASE

TDR
on 10/5/12 8:47 pm
So I know early this week I said I expected this stall and could work through it.  But a FULL week now - the scale had not changed since last week.   Then this morning it was up by 1.6 pounds.   I am 100% on plan.   I get 65-80 grams of protein a day.  My carbs have never been above 30 (they come from milk and yogurt) and all I can fit in for calories is 400-560.   I am trying to get them to 600 - that is where my dietician wants me to be now.   And when I progress to full solids she wants in the 800 range.

I am walking - but this week I have only been getting in every second day as opposed to every day.  Maybe that is the problem?   I am now extremely frustrated.    Any idea's or suggestions to help me get through this.

I lost 20 lbs in the month before surgery and had lost 23.4 in post op -up to the stall.   How long should I expect this to last.....

Any help would be very much appreciated. 

HW: 325  SW: 293.4  CW:235.0 Surgery Date Sept 10, 2012   Preop: - 31.6  M1:-22  M2: -16.6   M3: -13.6 First weight goal ACHIEVED!  On to my second goal - CENTURY CLUB!!!!   

leepee35
on 10/5/12 9:28 pm
VSG on 08/27/12
 I am six weeks out. My stall lasted 2 weeks. I went up to 1,000 calories and started losing again. 
Jaybee766
on 10/5/12 9:29 pm - Silver Spring, MD
VSG on 02/27/12 with
I know it's hard to believe but this is completely normal.  Even the 1.6 pound fluctuation (yeah that's what I call it because it's definitely NOT weight gain).  The stall will end - in a week or even in two weeks (like for me).  You can't get discouraged and you shouldn't go off plan.  It happens to all of us.  It also happens more than once so the sooner you can get used to them - the better.  It is frustrating though I completely relate.  I think we all think - "maybe I'm the first one to break my sleeve" but we/you didn't.  Keep getting your protein in and keep getting your fluids in!  That's the most important part.  The scale will be your friend and your enemy depending on the day but it really is just a small piece of the journey.  Hang in there - don't panic.  I PROMISE it will move again and you are physically incapable of gaining weight when eating 600 calories a day (it takes roughly 3000 extra calories to gain 1 pound --- you DID NOT do that)  It'll go away - I promise.  You're doing great.  Hang in there!!!
Jeanne 

Height 5'7"   HW: 314     SW: 293

happyteacher
on 10/5/12 9:34 pm
 I know it if is frustrating, but is it super common to stall out around 3 weeks.  It will pass so long as you continue to stay on plan.  Do a search in the search bar on the 3 week stall and you will find a million posts about it- you are not alone!   Measure- you will find that typically during stalls your inches drop, despite the scale not moving.  Then, when the scale does finally cooperate it will be a good amount quickly.  Try to learn from stalls- at one point you will have to maintain and deal with the feelings with not losing steadily (that is where I am at right now) so there is a mindset that needs to be developed for that portion.  

You may want to increase your fluids.  If you are runnin dehydrated at all it causes the body to hold on to fluids, which results in the type of increase you are seeing.  Keep in mind that 23.4 pounds post op at your point is excellent- your body is just readjusting and recovering.  

The huge numbers you see some of us post in weight loss are cumulative- not a ridiculous amount each month and every month- more like what you have in month 1, then tapers off in month 2, and for me settled in around 10ish a month from that point.  Check my ticker.  

Also, calculate your percentage of EWL lost.  For example, I was 326 to start (higher actually, but my scale couldn't handle the weight so I am not sure how much).  My goal was 195, so that is 131 pounds EWL.  I can't read my ticker as I write this, but I think I was 21 pounds that first month.  So 21/131 is 16% of my EWL.  I had lost preop 26 pounds so by the end of my first month 26 + 21 = 47  and 47/131 is 36%- and that is a lot!  

So, in a nut shell- measure, fluids, calculate ewl, and stay on plan.  This will pass and eventually the stalls will not freak you out so much.  Around month 3 or 4 I finally settled down about stalls.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Jarisaunt
on 10/6/12 6:26 am - CA
VSG on 08/21/12
You're one of my faves on this board...you always make such rational, sensible statements. The calculation of EWL is just fantastic...thanks for this.

Height: 5'5"  2 wks pre-op: -15  M1: -20  M2: -18  M3: -12  M4: -13  M5: -8 M6: -10 M7: -2 M8: -10 M9: -4 M10: 0 M11: -3 M12: -3 M13: -14 Start Wt:290 SurgWt:275 (BMI 46) Current Wt:145 (BMI 24) Goal:140 (BMI 23.3)

TDR
on 10/5/12 10:49 pm
 Thank you for all the replies.   I am staying on plan.  Not even straying a little bit.  :)  
As for fluids - I have always been a water drinker - I am geting in at least 64 ounces of water a day - this does not include fluid in shakes..   I constantly drink and have been for years.   I have tea as well but of course I have switched to decaf and for the most part limit myself to one cup a day.

I know I just have to struggle through this one.  Stay the course.   Good news... is I just did your calculation and I already have 30% of my excess weight gone!  Now there is a number I like.   Thanks for helping me see this in a different light!!!

Trina

HW: 325  SW: 293.4  CW:235.0 Surgery Date Sept 10, 2012   Preop: - 31.6  M1:-22  M2: -16.6   M3: -13.6 First weight goal ACHIEVED!  On to my second goal - CENTURY CLUB!!!!   

nursgirl
on 10/6/12 12:21 am, edited 10/6/12 12:22 am - Sunny Southern CA, CA
VSG on 09/14/12
 I am 3 weeks post op and down 27 lbs since surgery (didn't lose anything post op lol) and I'm right there with ya.. stalled for almost a week now. I agree that we gotta just stay on course and we'll start losing again! I am definitely still losing inches this week even though the scale isn't moving! 

p.s. I think we need to give ourselves *high fives*.. I mean can you even believe we've lost this much already and we are eating HEALTHY?! and I'm even enjoying eating healthy!! who woulda ever thought?! LOL we are doing awesome! 

SURGERY 9-14-2012 DR. PONCE DE LEON
pics of my trip: 
http://wlsherewego.shutterfly.com/pictures/14              
sleevegirl
on 10/6/12 12:54 am - Austin, TX
My 3 week stall lasted 20 days.

You will survive. Promise.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

LeighAnne89
on 10/6/12 1:15 am - KY
 It could last as long as say a month but my first stall lasted for about a week and a half almost 2 weeks and then after I lost nearly a pound a day.It will be fine your body is just trying to adjust and there is not really too much you can do to speed the process I have heard try upping your protein and calories or change up your exercise routine. It will not last much longer though.

PrettyEyes_41
on 10/6/12 1:16 am - MS
VSG on 06/12/12
My 3 week stall lasted almost a month! Don't get discouraged. Your body will let loose and start losing when it's healed enough and readjusted enough to do so. It is still healing and in starvation mode at times and holding on to everything it can. I agree with everyone, measure and stay off the scale for awhile. I weigh only once a week so I don't have to get frustrated over the daily fluctuations. It's extremely hard but so is everything else we're doing until you get used to it. You can do this! 

Gale     Age: 55, Height: 5' 5.5", HW: 236, SW: 210, 1st GW: 150.  Surgery BMI: 39.3  Extremely HBP, High Cholesterol & borderline diabetic.      

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views