Lost a lot less than expected

shanti4758
on 11/8/12 2:47 am

On the 2 week pre op diet I lost 17 lbs then I was sleeved Oct 23rd . In the three weeks since surgery I have only lost11lbs. HasThat happened to anyone else? I am averaging 500 calories per day.any ideas?

SleevedLife
on 11/8/12 2:58 am, edited 11/8/12 2:58 am

You've lost 28 pounds in just over 4 weeks.

Seriously.

You are doing just fine.

Nutshell:

Lost 140 lbs with VSG. (Hooray!!)

got pregnant  (yeaaaa!)  

got cancer (boooo!)

regained 40 lbs.   (grrrr!)

In summary: Alive & Grateful.   

Kelly-AnneH
on 11/8/12 5:50 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Ditto. You're doing great.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

rhearob
on 11/8/12 3:04 am - TN

Early out - take this advice to heart:

Do Not compare your weight loss to anyone elses, do not set schedule dates for when you should lose certain amounts, do not live and die by the scale.

I know how hard this advice can be to take.  We all want to feel like we are doing well, that we are going to be the one who gets to goal in four months.  We all want to feel like a success.

Ultimately, success is not won by or measured by the scale.  You have to learn to control what you can - and that is your diet and exercise.  IF you consistently work your plan and make sure that you do what you are supposed to do, the weight will come off.

The process of losing weight is very complex.  It is affected by a lot of things - your body chemistry, your cycle, where you are in the processes of ketosis and glycogenesis.  Your weight will vary depending on when you drink your water in relation to when you weight.  

Weigh yourself, record it, and then forget it and focus on what you can manage.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

Happy966
on 11/8/12 3:27 am

Thank you.

:) Happy

53 yrs old, 5'6" HW: 293 ConsW: 273 SW: 263 CW: 206

hrford
on 11/8/12 3:39 am
VSG on 03/19/12

What he said.  I had my heart set on certain weights by certain dates, why?  It makes no sense and really as long as we are doing what we are supposed to do, then who cares what the scale says?  It will come off, it has to.  

HW: 270 SW: 234.4 CW: 135.0 1stGW:149 (GOAL MET)afreshstart-hreneeh.blogspot.com/
1st 5k: 5/12/12 44:55  PR 4miles: 12/31/2012 35:49

AdeanaMarie
on 11/8/12 3:54 am, edited 11/8/12 3:55 am - MI
VSG on 03/08/12

I second what Rob said.  You are doing great, do not compare.  Your body is going through major adjustments.  Find the non scale victories and count them.  Make a blessings list.  This journey is so much more than what the scale reflects.  It is an internal change, a different mind set, learning to enjoy life at whatever size you currently are and realizing, this is not an instant fix.  It is an intentional plan.  Stay on plan and the goals will be met.

You are doing wonderful!  Keep up the great work!

Do not let the scale and gravity decide your self worth!

“Not many of us are living at our best.  We linger in the lowlands because we are afraid to climb the mountains.  The steepness and ruggedness dismay us, and so we stay in the misty valleys and do not learn the mystery of the hills.  We do not know what we lose in our self indulgence.  What glory awaits us if only we had the courage for the mountain climb.  What blessing we should find if only we would move to the uplands of God.?  JRM

SuzanneR
on 11/8/12 4:02 am - Randolph, NJ

Yes to what they all said and you are doing really well! Congratulations!! I had to take the goal monkey off my back because now that I ams o close to goal the weight loss is slow for sure but I STILL have weight Loss. I am 100 lbs less than i was a 10 1/2 mos ago when I had my surgery and only have 10-20 lbs more to lose so i am very happy and thrilled. Why put any negativity in the mix? No point to that! Keep doing what you're supposed to do as told by your surgeon and nutritionist and you WILL have success.

Jeannette M.
on 11/8/12 5:37 am - CA
VSG on 10/22/12

I agree with the above answers.  They're very sensible.  But I know what you mean.  It's disheartening isn't it?  Just make sure that you are taking in all of the recommended protein and water you were told to!  I actually lost 10 lbs over night at one point.  It's weird.  Some days you lose, and others you just don't.  Have you taken down your measurements. I wrote them down before surgery, and hadn't checked them again until this week, and I've lost a lot of inches!  I've also noticed that some people on here talk about being on a plateau weight wise, but they're losing inches the whole time, so check that out too.   Just keep your chin up, and stay on track.  At 500 calories a day, your body HAS TO give it up.   

2003 HW 522lbs - SW (JIB) 511lbs - LW 370lbs   2012 HW 377lbs - SW (VSG) 364lbs - CW 200

prairie-dog-girl
on 11/8/12 6:52 am

I was just lamenting on another post that I'm 11 days post op and weigh the same as I did the day of surgery. Im getting good  amounts of liquids and protein in.The vets assured me that's it's normal and we will all lose ,it's just not the same rate for everyone. Good luck!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 70 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 264 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views