ASG

groovykg
on 12/8/12 10:00 pm - VA
RNY on 02/27/13

I'm headed for RNY because of my various esophagus and reflux issues but have started to get concerned about the complications caused by malabsorption.  I did a little googling and discovered these Russian doctors have "invented" a new procedure they are calling "Anti-reflux Sleeve Gastroplasty", which is essentially an Nissen wrap and VSG simultaneously, but they don't remove any of the remaining  resectioned.  This is important for me because I have a higher risk of developing esophageal cancer and needing an esophagectomy, during which they construct a new esophagus out of stomach tissue.  This is why RNY seems to be the only viable option.

So...  I'm assuming that in the US, this ASG thing would be considered experimental and would not be covered by insurance, but I could be wrong. Does anyone know of any doctors in the US performing anything like this?  

Here's a link to the surgeons' site: http://www.doctorweight.com/bariatricsurgery/narrowingstomach/antirefluxsleevegastroplasty/

Bella_Fein
on 12/8/12 11:16 pm - TX
VSG on 02/18/13

I didn't find anything about this surgery in any of the medical policies from insurance companies that I looked at. If it is a new surgery and has not yet been proven (like the sleeve was for some time) then most companies will not cover it. I couldn't even find a code for the billing of that surgery. I would ask your doctor what procedure code they would bill for it. Call your insurance with that and have them look it up for you. If you call without the billing code there is a good chance they will tell you they need it. There is a very good chance that they will really be billing 2 different procedures. They may bill the VSG and the nissen fundoplication as 2 procedures done at the same time.

Your best bet is always to get codes from your doctor and then call the insurance. It is the only way to be 100% sure.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 115 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 341 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 393 views