Gallbladder Surgery Pain vs VSG Pain

seejo
on 12/18/12 11:34 am - AR
VSG on 12/20/12

I'm wondering how much worse VSG pain is compared to gallbladder surgery pain.  Anybody??

Missy30
on 12/18/12 12:01 pm
VSG on 06/27/12

My gallbladder surgery was a while ago about 12 years ago. So the vsg is a little bit more fresh in my memory since that was about 6 months ago but anyway Id say for me they were about comparable pain wise.  Both being laparoscopic the recovery was not bad for me. I didn't have a drain with the vsg. I think recovery time was faster for the gallbladder surgery. I also think that each person will be different as far as pain goes.  I had pain meds after both surgeries.  

carebear32958
on 12/18/12 12:49 pm
VSG on 08/16/12

I had my gallbladder out laprascopically 2 yrs ago and my vsg 4 months ago.  Honestly  I had a longer recovery from the gallbladder surgery.  My abdominal muscles were much more sore and I had difficulty standing upright and getting in and out of chairs/beds for about 2 weeks, my vsg I was in pain maybe 3 days post op.  and I was much more mobile.  I had different surgeons for each surgery so I don't know if that made any difference but for me at least the VSG was much easier to recover from. 

Kari

Living4MyBabySon
on 12/18/12 12:52 pm - CA
VSG on 12/17/12
I hAd my gall bladder out last year and felt 0 pain. I was able to tolerate the dilaten they gave me and I went home with a smile on my face after being in the hospital for 6 days. I was sleeved yesterday and the gas pain was horrific. I woke up with the worst left upper chest pain. My stomach doesn't hurt to bad but is very sore. I got nausious after taking the pain meds. I have a bad headache. And my neck hurts. I know everyday will get better but I had to vent....

Kristin B.
on 12/18/12 8:00 pm - West Des Moines, IA
VSG on 05/17/08 with

Maybe it matter what order you had the surgeries in. I had VSG 4.5 years ago and remember recovery to be pretty easy.

Gall bladder was 2 years ago and the pain was like kidney stones/PIT induced labor. I had to wait a few days for the GB surgery because of where the stones were placed and so by then every pain nerve was firing.

The VSG doc and staff managed my pain MUCH better than the GB surgeon.

Fortune sides with he who dares. ~ Virgil  
Unsolicited PMs about doctors, procedures, or facilities should be given as much consideration as spam offering foreign lottery winnings, penis- enlarging creams, and Nigerian fortunes.
bob-h
on 12/18/12 8:16 pm, edited 12/18/12 8:17 pm - Bad Axe, MI
VSG on 10/09/12

I had my gallbladder removed in 1979 and let me tell you the VSG was much, much, much less painful. In those days they did it the old fashioned way, they cut you open from top to bottom.  blush

Failure  IS NOT  an Option                  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 87 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 300 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 347 views