Offically one week Post-Op and regreting my decison

LadiWobs
on 12/18/12 10:52 pm

Well today is officially my 1 week post-op. Today I woke up feeling Blessed as well as disappointed.  My 7 day journey so far, some would say is amazing.  I woke in recovery with NO pain just a little soreness and hungry. I was able to eat about 4oz of broth,4 oz of jello and 12oz of water immediately without feeling sick. I was able to walk immediately. I was away from my bed so long the hospital had to page me back to my room.  On day 2 I did feel some gas in my stomach but the nurse told me to let it out so I did. Again alot of walking no pain.  I had to stay in the hospital one extra day because my blood pleasure was giving crazy numbers. Released on Friday  went to the mall grocery store and Wal-Mart. Still no pain or discomfort. I wasn’t tired nor I was I full of energy. I don’t really know if that was a good thing or a bad thing. Friday night in the middle of the night I had a low sugar attack, in which I was not home and I had to eat some Blueberry yogurt (not eating the actually  blueberry's). I didn’t get sick just extremely gassy.  Sat still fine, Even went to the gym and walked a mile. (I have been going every other day since) Sunday I was fine, So I decided I was going to go to work on Monday( I sit at a desk all-day ). Return to work on Monday and my boss told me you look normal, you don’t look like you had a major surgery at all. So all in all I feel really blessed that I was able to snap back really quick without any problems. As of today I have no nausea, or vomiting and no pain meds. Now here is where I feel disappointed. Last night I stayed with my friend, once again my low sugar ( I really need to ask my doctor about this) he didn’t have anything in his house for me to eat but 2 cookies and a piece of cake, in which I did eat. To my surprise it didn’t make me sick what so ever. NOTHING.  I even though I need the sugar I don’t want to be able to eat things like that without out getting sick because I know I will try and eat one here one there and then I am back to where I started.  The second this is Don't feel like I am losing. Start was 254 after DOS 249 and as of today 246. No inches lost or nothing. WHAT M I DOING WRONG

Daily eating schedule, Also I am getting in ALL of my protein and 64oz fluids ( some days only 50oz)

9am- Applesauce 1 cup

11am -Jell-O

1pm - lunch creamy Soup 10 1/4 oz SF Pudding

3pm.Jello

5pm. Pudding

7pm - creamy Soup 10 1/4 oz

tara3103
on 12/18/12 11:16 pm
VSG on 11/13/12

WOW!  That's a lot of info and I hope I don't sound rude when I say this, but....calm down.  :)

You are only one week post op.  I understand how you feel, but you doing way better than most at one week.  I was out of work for 3 weeks, had an issue with pain meds, had an incision open up and was sick with everything I ate.  I am now only 5 weeks out and doing much better.  The weight will come off, but your body gains some weight and water during surgery, which comes off usually the first week and then it needs time to heal.  I lost 17 lbs first week and then nothing again until week 4.  I walked but not a lot at first but am now doing the C25K running program and have added in weight training.  I am very impatient and understand how you are feeling.  You have built up to this surgery and now that its happened, you want to see results right now.  Trust me...they will come.  Keep doing what you are doing, it sounds like you are on the right path.  As for the sugar issue I would get with your doctor.  My taste buds changed after surgery and I find that I don't crave anything sweet as of right now and I have to make a choice that I didn't go thru all this to just start eating everything I want again.  Surgery is not the answer, its just a tool to help you make better decisions.  It will get better, I promise.  You're doing great!!!

tara3103
on 12/18/12 11:17 pm
VSG on 11/13/12

Also, you menu you posted seems like a lot for one week out.  I can't even eat more that a 1/4 c of anything at once and I struggle to eat more than 3 times per day.

Keywester
on 12/18/12 11:26 pm
VSG on 12/05/12

a cup of applesauce?  Dang I had trouble getting in a half an egg this morning and I'm two weeks post op.

Laura

mnmommaof2
on 12/18/12 11:26 pm
VSG on 11/23/12

It sounds like you're doing great!  It's totally normal to not loose much the first week of surgery-- even if you don't feel like it your body is in shock from having major surgery.  Give it a bit and you will start dropping the pounds.  One thing I have learned is not to compare myself to others-- some loose weight like crazy and others lose slow and steady.  Either way you still make the finish line.  I'm sure you already know but--I would also suggest always packing things you can eat when you leave the house.  Better to be prepared and not need it than be left without.  Good luck on your journey!  Remember-- it's only just begun.

Highest weight 279.8

Surgery weight 268 

slimpickins5280
on 12/18/12 11:29 pm - CO

Maybe some people with blood sugar issues will chime in. I was pre-diabetic before surgery (2000mg Metformin/day). My understanding is that the goal is to keep your blood sugars as even as you can all day. That's where the protein spread throughout the day comes in.

Here's the things that I see that you might want to correct:

1. Ask your doctor (today) about the low blood sugar thing. If you don't know what to do about it (maybe it is something new to you, I don't know), then ask the surgeon to give you ideas on how to keep the BS (blood sugar, bull**** both) regulated.

2. I don't know anyone with BS problems who turns to cake and cookies as a fix, except my friend who's diabetic, but he eats like **** and makes poor food choices. He'd rather deal with a needle than his eating. Spreading out the protein all day should regulate the BS better.

3. What on earth made you think you "wouldn't" be able to eat crap? Haven't you read anything on here? For most people, the Sleeve can handle any kind of food. It's not the RNY or the DS. You can eat anything. You made the choice to turn to foods you shouldn't eat and I strongly suggest you figure how to make that not happen again. It's said on here all the time. They do surgery on your stomach, NOT your head. I suggest you seek counseling if you can't figure what's going on.

4. It's YOUR job to have the foods you need with you at all times. No one elses. If your friend has crap in his house, you should have a lunch bag of all the things you can eat. You don't get to blame ****ty eating choices on what your friends decides to keep in his house.

5. All of the things you are eating/trying are they on your surgeons list of guidelines? If you didn't receive a list of guidelines contact one of the vets, or pm me, and get a food regiment going that will make you successful. There are a few WLS folks on this forum that don't really get a menu or much help from their doctors. That didn't stop them from copying what one of the vets did.

The ****ty food will always be there. You will always be able to eat it. Doesn't mean you should.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

Shelly S.
on 12/18/12 11:50 pm - Stillwater, OK
VSG on 12/13/12

I would love to have a copy of your diet guidelines and progression. My surgery happened very quickly. I had a band placed in 2008 which slipped and was making me very ill so within a week I was having this revision which in very thankful for but feel kind of lost. I called my dr office and asked for a copy of the post op diet and they faxed me one for gastric bybass. I have called back but am still patiently waiting as lost as ever. 

Shelly

slimpickins5280
on 12/18/12 11:55 pm - CO

I will pm it to you in a bit.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

Antimony40
on 12/19/12 12:08 am, edited 12/19/12 12:09 am - VA
VSG on 12/06/12 with

This person has the same surgeon as I do--they were given a plan, and substantial NUT counseling...

Sorry, I meant original poster, OOPS!

HW 286.7--SW 264.4--CW 184.2  M1-24.8//M2-14.8//M3-7.6//M4-10.0//M5-3.8//M6-8.4//M7-6.4//M8- 4.8//M9 +1

slimpickins5280
on 12/19/12 12:15 am - CO

I knew who you meant, the OP. I'll send my post op diet to Shelly.

I read your post to the OP. You, my friend, will do very well.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 93 views