Band Failure - will VSG be any better?

(deactivated member)
on 12/29/12 6:28 am
RNY on 04/23/13

was initially banded in 2001 with a BMI of 31 and lost around 10kg only at first ( I Had been much heavier in the past and have asthma so was considered a candidate even though my BMI was on the lower side). Since that time I have never hit a sweet spot...I was rebanded again with a newer type in 2011 and have not lost any weight since (in fact have put on around 10kg). When it is firm enough I have severe reflux and vomiting in my sleep. I can't eat anything healthy without vomiting. So, of course the only food that goes down is rubbish (biscuits, ice-cream).

My 'will power' is poor and I wonder if the VSG will be another failure. I am a volume eater when I have no restriction. If I was able to keep healthy food down I don't think I would resort to eating crap all the time and would become full (hard to get full on chocolate with a lap band).

I am an RN and am actually not scared of surgery but am really scared of VSG - it seems like major surgery.

My BMI now is 33 and heading upward. I don't want to be thin or even very slim i just don't want to keep stacking on weight. I am a the stage where I am feeling embarassed to go out - my partner is the most amazing person in the world who wants me to be healthy but  not concerned with my appearance as such but is scared to 'lose me' with risky surgery.

I would NEVER consider a bypass - its too scary for me.

Any suggestions/ideas..

amyelite
on 12/29/12 6:36 am

I was banded in 2004, lost 60 lbs and was happy but after a few years the band stopped working, couldn't get any restriction no matter how tight we tried to make it and ended up gaining 40 lbs.  I just revised to the sleeve on Friday 12/21. Still on liquids for the most part but it feels different already! I've learned over these past few years also that I had to change my head around more than anything. This time I'm gonna give it my all and make it a lifestyle change for the rest of my life! Good luck in your decision!

(deactivated member)
on 12/29/12 6:44 am
RNY on 04/23/13

Thanks for your reply.

What was the surgery like?  Painful?  I find the worst is the gas feeling in the tummy.

Did you stay in hospital long? Did you do the Optifast first?  Was your band removed prior to this surgery?

I am a sponge for information at the moment!!

THanks so much

Wonderful to be able to talk to people here.

Rani

amyelite
on 12/29/12 6:53 am

No Optifast first, no change in diet prior to surgery. They removed my band and did the sleeve at the same time. Was in surgery for about 3 hours. I had it in my head before surgery that I was gonna walk as soon as possible and I did...In the recovery room, LOL. The pain wasn't bad at all. I received one Morphine shot the night of my surgery and haven't taken anything stronger than Tylenol since then. No problem with fluids at all, I'm actually thirsty all the time! 

band2sleeve_2012
on 12/29/12 6:59 am

The sleeve is not at all like the band.  The sleeve works !!

My surgeon removed the band then waited three month to do the sleeve surgery.  Some surgeons do both in one surgery.  

There are many successful band to sleeve revisions on this message board.  

I get full on so little food. And rarely feel hunger at all.  Looks for the daily "what people are eating" posts to get an idea of what your food volume will be.  You will think you could never survive on that little food - but you will experience fullness on that small volume once you are sleeved. 

I never ever used to go to the gym.  I now go to the gym almost daily and love it.  Did the sleeve do this - no - there is no surgery done on your brain.  But the success of the weight falling off is inspiring and will improve life greatly.

Research research research!!  Good Luck !

5'6"     HW+SW 300      CW 214      GW 170 
                                        Lap Band Removed 1/16/2012  Sleeved 4/24/2012          

Auveca
on 12/29/12 7:13 am - Houston, TX
VSG on 11/27/12
Banded 2x, with the reflux and vomiting at night. Lost 100#, but had to have my band removed in 09. Gained back 70#.

Had vsg on 11/27. It is what you wish the band had been. Remember when you hit that sweet spot? You thought "why would I ever want to undo this?" That is what this is, except you get the honeymoon of no hunger with it. Food is a requirement, not a pleasure.

Surgery is major, recovery is more complex, and longer. But even so, not bad!

bigred_z
on 12/29/12 8:08 am - Independence, KY
VSG on 11/16/12

My recovery was WAY better than with the band, both going in and coming out.  I am 6 weeks post op.  Would have done the sleeve first had it been an option at the time.

Lori RN, MS     Band 2/9/07 265lbs    Removed 4/13/12@ 185lbs (slip&erosion) Sleeve 11/16/12@ 225lbs  If I could get as excited about exercise as I am about a Big Mac...Now in ONEderland!!  197.4

(deactivated member)
on 12/29/12 9:06 am

Even though I'm not a band to sleeve patient, I'm going to chime in on this one. Check out Tripmom's  or USAFwife's profiles to see successful Band to Sleeve revisions.

Historically, I am without a doubt what classifies as a volume eater. I had no qualms whatsoever about eating big portions and going back for seconds, if I could. I LOVED, almost needed to feel full after a meal - you know that almost uncomfortable full feeling. I always tried for that feeling when I was in an eating phase.

I have had to do a lot of "head" work to get over the volume eating and it is still sometimes difficult for me because on occasion the desire to eat too much is still present. When I first got sleeved I always made way too much food or ordered way too much at a restaurant. It took me a few months to understand just how little I could really eat early out.

Now a year out, I can eat a lot more than I could at 3 months out. I have learned that my smaller stomach can pack in a lot of crap food with no problem. I made that mistake just recently on Christmas Day. I started in on eating sweets about 3 hours after my meal and grazed on cookies, sweets, nuts, chocolates, etc... for a good several hours before I really became aware of just how much "nibbling" I was doing. I had eaten so much I couldn't even begin to log it in my food log. It was devastating - seriously.

I cannot eat that way with good, healthy, VSG appropriate food. 3 oz of dense protein, 1/3 cup vegetables and sometimes 2 TBS to or 1/8 cup of something starchy (my favorite being corn grits (aka polenta) and I'm full. Not stuffed, but satisfied. I am able to eat other things that are healthy that aren't that dense in larger portions. I will eat 3/4 greek yogurt flavored with SF Torani syrup and topped with an 1/8 cup of Fiber One. That is a very healthy VSG morning snack for me, but it doesn't leave me feeling full at all, but keeps me satisfied until lunch.

Surgery is surgery. You know as an RN that all surgery has risks. I chose an excellent surgeon with a great success rate that had been doing sleeves for a very long time (he was a skilled DS surgeon prior to doing VSG). I have heard of far more complications coming from Bands than I have from VSG. I do believe that VSG is the most important part of why I am so healthy today. Off all meds. BP is normal, glucose is normal, everything is great. I am healthy, active and strong and mobile!

Your post makes me wonder how much you are going to rely on the VSG tool to be the mainstay of your WL and maintenance success. I really think you need to take a good honest look at what you are willing to do to be successful. You won't get full eating chocolate with a VSG either! I just want to point out that I already know how to eat around my sleeve. It's very easy to do. I think anyone who has had WLS figures that out pretty quickly. We didn't get to be obese because we were so great at walking away from the food! We have food issues. It's only natural that these issues continue to exist after WLS. You'll have to be able to acknowledge and deal with those issues when they arise or yes, the VSG will "fail" you, too. (Not comparing to your band - I know for you it's a physical impossibility to even eat correctly with that damn thing in you!)

VSG will be a wonderful tool in your arsenal of weight loss strategies. It won't do the work for you, but use it as it's meant to be used and you cannot fail to be successful! I have absolutely no regrets. I'd do it over and over without hesitation!

SuzanneR
on 12/29/12 9:56 am - Randolph, NJ

hated my band, never hit a sweet spot lost only 35-40 lbs. I love my sleeve, lost 98 lbs in a year have less than 20 to go and I'll do it! I love, love, love my sleeve!

ruggie
on 12/29/12 10:10 am - Sacramento, CA

Like others, I encourage you to reach out to TripMom02 or USAFwife - they have terrific band-to-sleeve stories.  

I'm not a previous bander, but having gone through it all and getting to my goal, I can tell you my only regret is not doing it earlier in life.  I'm so happy to have my sleeve as a back-up tool in diet management, and to be largely free of the hunger pains that drove my eating habits before surgery.

I was scared of having my stomach cut up also - even now, at my goal weight, if I could magically snap my fingers and get my normal stomach back, I would not do it.  

You mention "lose me" with surgery - I'm sure as an RN who's looked into this, you understand that death resulting from this surgery is extremely low, low, low.  Heck, you had a greater chance at death as a band patient, to be honest.  You've already taken a greater risk than VSG surgery and survived, so think about it that way.

Good luck in your journey!

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 398 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 426 views