pros and cons of surgery in mexico

shutterfly
on 1/16/13 8:34 am - vancouver, Canada
I'm trying to weigh the pros and cons of surgery in Mexico. Can someone help me out.
3cboys
on 1/16/13 8:38 am - Purcellville, VA

I went to Dr. Alvarez in Piedras Negras and I could not have had a better experience.  I was self pay.  Not one problems during or after the surgery.  Better care than in USA I thought.  Go for it.  He is the man - he trains US doctors and was written up in Newsweek.

shutterfly
on 1/16/13 8:39 am - vancouver, Canada
I should add that in Vancouver, Canada there is a 2.5 year wait list just for an initial consult.
stormyrock
on 1/16/13 9:07 am
VSG on 02/18/13

I'm in Vancouver too and would love to chat.  I just found a good dr in Canada for 13,000 :)  If not from my research Dr Alverez is great.

[email protected] if you want to chat

Kelly-AnneH
on 1/16/13 9:11 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I'm in Edmonton and went to Dr Aceves in Mexicali. Fabulous experience, booked on June 2nd, surgery was June 26th. Do make sure your local GP is on board for your aftercare before you book. Mine was, is, and is absolutely delighted with my loss so far.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

sleevegirl
on 1/16/13 8:41 am - Austin, TX

A lot of folks go to MX and have a good result. I considered it, but ultimately decided that the $4-5k I would have saved wasn't worth it. I didn't want to deal with going down there and the trip while I wasn't fully healed. The biggest thing was aftercare. I needed that and my surgeon has a great aftercare program. I'm really glad I did it here locally, honestly.

Careful who you choose down there though! There's only 2 I would consider. One is Aceves, I think? He's down just past Eagle Pass in TX.

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

Janetisshrinking
on 1/16/13 9:57 am

Dr. Alvarez is wonderful. I thought my care was better than anything I would have gotten here in the states. His staff was attentive and helpful. The nurses didn't speak English BUT there is a patient helper always there who will speak perfect English. You are given a private room and there is a place for the person who comes with you to sleep. I have had not one single problem or complication. I would recommend him to anyone.

Janet

shutterfly
on 1/16/13 8:41 am - vancouver, Canada
pineview01
on 1/16/13 8:58 am - Davison, MI

I was going to Mexico if the insurance wouldn't pay.  While I was fighting, I researched tons.  There are just a few I would go to.

check out the Mexico boards.  http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/mexico/

The con is after care.  Will you have someone willing to do follow up!

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

beach_mama
on 1/16/13 9:10 am
VSG on 08/16/12

I went to Dr. Aceves at Mexicali Bariatric Centre.  I can't say enough (positive) about my experience there and what a wonderful team they were.  It's a 4-5 year wait for consult here in NB, Canada and I just didn't have that time to waste and then possibly be told I wasn't a candidate.  I self paid and went for it.  No problems, no complications.  I am five month post surgery today!

I am/was considered a light weight at 225lbs...I am 5 lbs away from my goal weight of 159...down 60.5 lbs this morning.

I get my support from this forum and from my own family doctor. 

The only con that I could mention is that I had to pay for the whole thing myself but I don't care at all about that.

Good luck with your decision.

Most Active