WAS on a roll and then BAM, weight gain?

Living4MyBabySon
on 1/17/13 12:28 am - CA
VSG on 12/17/12
I don't know what the heck. I had a 2 pound weight loss on Sunday and then gained a pound a day since then. I have been doing everything I should. I added more exercise so I upped the protein and water and still nothing. I thought maybe a stall was to be expected but not a pound a day weight gain? No change in Inches either. Its disappointing : /

Keith L.
on 1/17/13 12:34 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Any easy to forget carbs like gum chewing or mints that you might be overindulging in? That much weight that fast sounds like you are retaining water to me. Water is very heavy so it shows up quickly on the scale. When you say you upped your water how much per day are we talking about. When I up my exercise I typically shoot for 100oz of water.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Living4MyBabySon
on 1/17/13 12:41 am - CA
VSG on 12/17/12
Probably an extra 20 oz so around 85oz vs 64. I have also added a protein shake (52g protein /body fortress) in addition to the real food I have been eating. Bringing the protein intake almost to 90+grams. Yes I chew a lot of gum because I feel like I have dragon breath latley. Is that to much protein? Do you think chewing maybe3- 5 peices of gum a day would make me gain a pound a day? How do you get rid of water retention?

Keith L.
on 1/17/13 2:51 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Probably not too much protein but your body can only process about 30 grams at a time and it dumps the rest. I started with the Body Fortress because it was inexpensive but have found that the others cost more for a reason. You want to make sure you are getting whey protein isolate it is better for our body to process. I don't think that is why you shot up.

The gum is calories you should count. One stick of trident sugarless is 2 calories and 2 carbs each. If you chew a pack a day that is like 36 calories and 36 carbs (that is almost your whole budget for a day). So I have reduced my gum chewing to once or twice a day. Sucks because I have no way to curb my oral fixations. So your 3 to 5 pieces is not bad but make sure you count the 10 carbs.

I would say up the water and you should see it drop. The way to get rid of water retention oddly enough is to drink more water. You will be able to tell when you body starts to give it up too because you will be peeing a lot more than you would from a normal glass of water. I was starting to stall and I amped up my water yesterday and today 2lbs off the scale. So for whatever reason it works.

Living4MyBabySon
on 1/17/13 3:05 am - CA
VSG on 12/17/12
Thanks Keith. I will start pounding the water. What protein isolate do you prefer? I had to force down the body fortress. It was starting to taste so much like medicine. I only have a few scoops left, so I want to make sure the next kind I buy is tolerable.

Keith L.
on 1/17/13 6:12 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

I am currently using 100% Whey Gold Standard Chocolate and it is ok. I have been looking at the About Time proteins because they only contain 4 ingredients. But they are not particularly tasty. The best tasting ones I have are called Whey-ology and Iso-ology I think. I don't remember where I got them but I ordered some samples from them and they were very tasty. I don't remember the nutrtitional profile of them but I don't remember them being high in carbs or calories. IsoPure Zero carb powder has some interesting flavors. I was on a banana kick when I first started out and bought a whole tub of banana. I have to suffer through it before I can buy any more powders. I would say try to get samples where you can. Netrtrition.com allows you to buy samples and try a bunch of them.  

emelar
on 1/17/13 12:54 am - TX

That fast, it's water weight.  Keep in mind that when you exercise more, particularly weights, you tear/stress muscles.  Water rushes to the muscles for repair - and you're retaining water.  It'll come off on its own, but if you want to do something proactive, push a little more fluid and what your sodium intake for a few days.

(deactivated member)
on 1/17/13 1:39 am

Follow emelar's advice. She is SPOT ON!

Lexie 84
on 1/17/13 1:44 am - Washington, DC
VSG on 03/13/12

I'm experiencing the same thing. I'm convinced it's water weight. I'll be up and down each day from 1-3 lbs at a time and it's sooooooo irritating! But my clothes don't feel different. I'm not gaining any inches. I probably could do better with sodium intake. I hate seeing the numbers up and down but I'm not beating myself up. I just need to watch the sodium and up my water intake.

Most Active