Favorite high protein purees for a newbie?

SeaGirl
on 2/14/13 3:20 pm
VSG on 02/01/13

I am two weeks post surgery tomorrow and start on purees, which I am on for the next six weeks.  Anyone have any purees you have loved?  Particularly those that are high protein??  I would love any tips you have, since I don't think I'll survive six weeks of the same meal over and over like I did on liquids.  I am going to have to get creative now and want some protein power!

Mom4Jazz
on 2/14/13 8:19 pm

I skipped purees entirely and stayed on protein shakes until I could do soft food. The whole idea just sounded ick to me.

Highest weight: 335 lbs, BMI 50.9
Pre-op weight: 319 lbs, BMI 48.5
Current range: 140-144, BMI 21.3 - 22

175+ lbs lost, maintaining since February 2012

mary d
on 2/14/13 8:27 pm

Favorite and protein purees don't seem to fit in the same sentence.  However, you can mitigate the ick factor.  Plain meat is horrible when it is pureed unless you cook it with other veggies and other ingredients first.  Think chili, beef stew, Italian meat sauce and chicken veggie soup as examples.

Depending on what you can have in the pureed stage, you can also have egg salad, tuna salad, chicken salad.  Yogurt is very popular, so is black bean dip and hummus.  They are higher in carbs of course, but you will be able to eat so little and hopefully you won't be on purees for long.

Cook a boneless skinless chicken thigh and a carrot in some low sodium chicken broth.  In a separate skillet, sautee onion, celery, red and green peppers and tomato in a little bit of olive oil.  Add whatever seasoning you like.  You can make it taste Italian, middle eastern, or mexican depending on the seasonings you add.  When the chicken is fork tender, cut it into chunks and combine it with the veggies in a food processor.  Pulse it a few times, add some of the broth as needed to get it to the right consistency.  If your Dr. doesn't require a smooth mush, leave it with some texture.

Lap Band 2006  

VSG 2008

MuttLover
on 2/14/13 9:04 pm
VSG on 11/14/12

Maybe I'm just weird, but I just pureed my favorite foods (meats with a little broth or veggie -- no pie, LOL!) and added unflavored protein powder.   But I only had a couple of weeks of purees, so my sympathies on six weeks! 

When my son had his jaw broken and wired shut, he didn't lose any weight (he was thin anyway!) because he just ate whatever he wanted -- blenderized! 

So overall, look to what your soft and solid foods are and plan your meals just like you will for regular food, and pulverize it. 

Also during puree time, I had a few thick squash soups and chilis since I was visiting my vegetarian kid -- and while those are a little carby for every day for six weeks, they can make a nice change from meaty purees.  I used the syntrax unflavored, and it worked great!

Best of luck to you! 

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

susan1277
on 2/14/13 11:15 pm - OH
RNY on 06/10/13 with

My mom made some homemade beef veggie soup for my husband pre-op during his liquid diet.  She put a few potatoes in it but also carrots, onion, green beans, beef, a few other types of beans.  He put a lot of broth in it but zipped it up and it actually tasted good!  Good Luck!!!

Rny 6/10/13            Highest Weight 343           Surgery Weight 306

laurakisby
on 2/14/13 11:16 pm

The absolute best tasting protein powder out there that I have found is called Zeal for Life.  I usually can't stand the vanilla but I love this one :)  Its not chalky or grainy like others are. I just found this one and its very much worth it.  You can see all the details at www.laurakisby.zealforlife.com.  The wellness drink will also give you energy and help you feel good.  There is no protein in it or very little but tons of vitamins and nutrients.  It has been a lifesaver for me. 

Most Active