Day of surgery what happens?

gee1963
on 2/22/13 5:10 am - Ankeny, IA
VSG on 02/27/13
You have all the answers. I just wanted to thank you for the giggles over all this conversation about tooting and panties

*~Gina~*HW 338 (10/2009), banded 07/22/10 298, removed 11/29/12, sleeved 2/27/13. (CW)   214 dr scale 3/19/13   

JerseyGirl_1213
on 2/22/13 6:39 am

My surgeon only required a clear liquid diet the day before surgery.  Every surgeon is different though.

I didn't have a catheter at all.

I didn't start tooting until a couple days later.  Not in the hospital at all.  This may be why I've had a really bad experience with the gas pains, even now at 3 days post op.  My tummy is making all kinds of noises now though and is not very happy with me at the moment!

I had my IV in until they were ready to discharge me.

No underwear during surgery.  I couldn't care less the day of surgery as I woke up completely out of it and in horrible pain.  I did put my underwear on the next morning though so I wasn't flashing anyone in the halls when they had me walking around! ;)

Good luck to you...

SophieNJ
on 2/23/13 10:12 am - Parsippany, NJ
VSG on 03/05/13

Hey Jersey Girl, great to see you online so quickly!  since we have same surgeon, I am glad to know no catheter :)

sorry about  the pain, I'm sure it will go away soon.

JerseyGirl_1213
on 2/24/13 8:46 am

Hey Sophie....yes, it's certainly been an experience so far!  I'll PM you details about my experience with the surgery, Dr. and hospital.  I haven't been online much the last few days but I haven't forgotten about you! :)

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 2/22/13 7:42 pm
VSG on 10/09/12
Does everyone have to do a liquid diet before surg?
- i did not have one at all. Ate normally up to 10 pm the night before and liquids up to 3 hrs before they cut.

Do they put your catheter in while you are awake? Do they remove it when you r awake? I'm really scared of that part for some reason....
- i had no catheter and no drains

Maybe silly but do u "toot" a lot to get gas out like colonoscopy patients?
- i had very little gas and was able to toot normally!

What about IVs? How long do u have that in for?
- had mine for 24 hrs but the drip only for 12. then they just kept the port in in case they would need it but they didn't need it so 24 hrs out it went.

Finally, can u wear underwear during surgery? After?
- certainly after you can but during...I don't actually recall...but I think no.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Jenny S.
on 2/23/13 2:35 am

Hope this helps. 

Does everyone have to do a liquid diet before surg?  No.  I had one for just 24 hours.  It depends on your Dr. 

Do they put your catheter in while you are awake? No, they do it once you are out with the anesthesia.  You dont feel it.  Do they remove it when you r awake? Yes.  They remove it when your awake & it was not that bad at all.  I was totally freaked out about that before also.  They removed mine about 30 minutes after I got my room & as soon as it was out I went pee on my own & then went for a walk around the floor. 

Maybe silly but do u "toot" a lot to get gas out like colonoscopy patients?  I passed gas a lot in the hospital.  I also walked a lot from the time I got my room though.  I walked all around the floor sometimes 3 laps at a time.  with my iv stand. 

What about IVs? How long do u have that in for? Till you check out. 

Finally, can u wear underwear during surgery? After? No.  When they take you into pre op you get into a gown with all clothes removed.  You have a cap on your head & booties on your feet. 

When you get a room you can wear your underwear again.  You can even put pajama pants on if you want.  I tend to sweat a lot though & get hot so I just kept my underwear & the gown on until the IV came out & I could put my shirt on.  & then pants to leave the hospital..

5' 2" 272 age 41

Jenny S.
on 2/23/13 2:39 am

P.S. your tummy will make all kinds of noises.  Dont let it scare you.  For me I thought of it kind of as getting reaquanted with it!  ;)  Also they say dont ever trust a fart.  I have not had that problem.  But it is true what they say about liquid in liquid out.  I had my first solid BM today & I am 11 days out from surgery.  (still in full liquid stage).

5' 2" 272 age 41

HeartOnMySleeveVSG
on 2/23/13 8:06 am

Thank you all for your answers! It's amazing what experienced advice and information can do to calm the nerves. I'm a newbie, but this forum is already so helpful.  Much appreciated!

SophieNJ
on 2/23/13 10:21 am - Parsippany, NJ
VSG on 03/05/13

Thank you so much for asking these questions....the answers let us know several possibilities, and like you, we will be prepared.  Thank you all who answered, it's a comfort to 'speak' to those who've been on the very path we are heading!

blessings to all!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 401 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 428 views