Day of surgery what happens?

HeartOnMySleeveVSG
on 2/22/13 1:47 am
I'm one of those ppl that likes to have all the info up front so I can process it and be prepared. So here are my questions:

Does everyone have to do a liquid diet before surg?

Do they put your catheter in while you are awake? Do they remove it when you r awake? I'm really scared of that part for some reason....

Maybe silly but do u "toot" a lot to get gas out like colonoscopy patients?

What about IVs? How long do u have that in for?

Finally, can u wear underwear during surgery? After?
Speedtrap
on 2/22/13 1:59 am - Canada
VSG on 11/09/12

Does everyone have to do a liquid diet before surgery? Not Everyone, I did not.

Do they put your catheter in while you are awake? Do they remove it when you are awake? I'm really scared of that part for some reason....No They put it in when you are out, or not at all, I did not have one.

Maybe silly but do you "toot" a lot to get gas out like colonoscopy patients?I did not, in fact I found it difficult to "toot" for a few days.

What about IV's? How long do you have that in for? I had mine in for 2 days.

Finally, can you wear underwear during surgery? After? No, not during, and at some point you will be able to wear them again, I am proof, I am wearing underwear right now.

mickeymantle
on 2/22/13 2:03 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

most people are on a liquid diet before surgery

usually the catheter is put in after you are asleep, some doctors take it out in recovery and some leave it in for a day

it slips right out after they deflate the balloon that holds it in

after your surgery you will have gas , so walk and toot as much as you can , it is expected the more you toot the better you will feel

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

LNC62
on 2/22/13 2:06 am - CA
VSG on 12/17/12

Pre-op liquid diet:  Surgeons differ on this.  Mine was 2 days others have to do 2 weeks.

Catheter: If I had one,I don't know about it.

Underwear: Nope, you are neked under the hospital gown.  I will say I'm very modest and never felt naked.  I must have been under when they removed the gown and put it back on.  If they removed it at all. 

Toots:  I didn't toot until the next morning.  They kept asking me if I passed gas.  I was happy when I did because not passing gas is a sign of a leak.

IV: My IV was in during my whole hospital stay.

justpete
on 2/22/13 2:20 am
VSG on 04/02/13

i thought about the catheter too last night, and though i'm used to most of the humiliating things that sometimes have to happen in hospitals, this is one i really would rather avoid!  I'm guessing they have a 12 hour no drink policy before, so i'm not sure why it would be necessary.  anyone have one? why

pineview01
on 2/23/13 9:16 am - Davison, MI

The catheter was the worst part for me.  They leave it in at ours until after you pass the leak test the following day.  I had trouble with mine, it kick and I was in constant pain until a nice nurse figured out what was wrong.  By them it cause a kidney/bladder infection.  So I couldn't' wear the panties or pj bottoms I brought.  Lots of people report having theirs out before waking.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

PhillyGator
on 2/23/13 11:33 am

What I learned from nursing school is that during any type of surgery, but especially with anesthesia, you want to make sure the patient does not get too full of a bladder because if it does, then the liquid backs up into your kidneys and urine is pretty toxic to your kidneys as well as autonomic dysfunction occurring. It's just honestly, not good for your body. Your filtration rate would probably go down, therefore, your blood pressure would rise, causing your heart to work harder and you get more tired. I would imagine for a shorter surgery, they won't put one in there, but you never know. You would still be getting IV fluids and such, so that is fluid going in... Hope that helps!

http://weightnolongerajourney.blogspot.com/

nmrudge
on 2/22/13 2:42 am - IL
VSG on 12/10/12

I was on a liquid diet for two weeks.  But not everyone has to.  My surgeon requires it to help shrink your liver.  The small youLiker liver is, the better.  But with most surgeries, you won't be able to eat or drink anything starting the night before.

My catheter was put in while I was under and removed while I was awake.  I thought it would be painful, but it wasn't. 

Gas after surgery is normal.  Toot as often as you can. 

My IV was in for two days.  Once I no longer needed pain meds through it, I asked for it to be taken out.

No underwear during surgery but I put on a pair after my cath was taken out.  The docs & nurses kept wanting to look at my incisions.  They best way to do that with a gown on, was by lifting it up.  I got tired of that quickly. 

Edit Delete

mimij
on 2/22/13 3:17 am - McDonough, GA
VSG on 10/03/12

Does everyone have to do a liquid diet before surg? I had 48 hrs of clear liquids before surgery, but not prior to that. It will depend on BMI and size of your liver.

Do they put your catheter in while you are awake? Do they remove it when you r awake? I'm really scared of that part for some reason....I was asleep in OR before they inserted catheter. I was awake on 1st postop day when they removed it. There is no way around that, but it does not hurt at all.

Maybe silly but do u "toot" a lot to get gas out like colonoscopy patients? I passed a lot of gas. It is best to walk a lot to get your intestines working and move that gas out. Anesthesia puts the intestines to sleep so to speak and they instill saline and CO2 in your belly during the surgery.

What about IVs? How long do u have that in for? I had my IV removed on 1st postop day after my leak test was done and they cleared me to sip liquids.

Finally, can u wear underwear during surgery? After? Usually you cannot wear underwear during surgery. They will have you remove it and wear only a gown into the OR suite. Certainly you can wear them afterwards. Bring loose fitting ones that won't cut into your stomach. You may be distended from the gas and you will have about 5 small incision sites from the laparoscopic instruments.

MIMI  Highest weight 215  SW 203  GW 125   M1 -22  M2 -12  M3 -11  M4 -7  M5 -10  M6 -5  M7 -6  M8 -5  M9 -4  M10 -3  In maintenance since June 2013  HT- 5'2"  

AmberK
on 2/22/13 3:22 am
VSG on 03/07/12 with

Does everyone have to do a liquid diet before surge? I had protein drinks during the day and a lean meant with a veggie at night for two weeks before surgery. I had to do solid liquid the day before

Do they put your catheter in while you are awake? Do they remove it when you r awake? I'm really scared of that part for some reason.... I was not going to have to have a catheter because they want to encourage you to get up and go to the bathroom and get moving. However, I could not go to the bathroom because of all the meeds so I did have one. It really is no big deal....I didn't even feel it going in. 

Maybe silly but do u "toot" a lot to get gas out like colonoscopy patients? NO It hurt WAY too bad to even push from my stomach. Nothing like the colonoscopy! 

What about IVs? How long do u have that in for? Until I went home 

Finally, can u wear underwear during surgery? After? not during and I didn't put any on till I went home because I didn't want to mess with them pulling them up and down to go to the bathroom. It hurt to bad to bend that far over. 

VSG 3/07/12     HW:260   SW: 249   CW:164  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 315 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views