Dizzy...

SeaGirl
on 2/22/13 4:35 pm
VSG on 02/01/13

The last few days when I wake up in the morning I am so dizzy I have to hold on to walls & furniture to make it across the room.  It lasts about 15 minutes then goes away.  I thought maybe it was because I hadn't eaten yet, but then last night and again tonight when I put my daughter to bed and lay down to read books with her, the same thing happened when I got up - and I'd just finished dinner about an hour before.  Almost ran into the door frame leaving her room tonight!  I've been getting all my fluids and protein and eating a decent amount of food (given that I am 4 weeks post-op and on purees), and my health is otherwise good (no sinus or inner ear issues that I can feel).  I see my surgeon next week for a regular follow up, but just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?  (Don't know if this is a good thing or bad thing, but when I told my husband about it tonight he said "What did your message board say??"  )  Any thoughts?

RyanJS
on 2/22/13 4:47 pm - CA
VSG on 02/21/12 with

Its actually very common and I had it for several months after surgery. It fades away after a couple of months and you learn to deal with it. I drank G2 Gatorades and it seemed to have helped it a lot. Surgeon told me it was Orthostatic Hypotension. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthostatic_hypotension

Heaviest Weight: 330 Goal Weight: 175 Current Weight: 150
"Hit Goal in 3 1/2 Months!!!"
"Nothing is impossible. The word itself says I'M POSSIBLE!!!"
"No one said it was going to be easy, but it will definitely be worth it"

lolabigcups
on 2/22/13 10:01 pm - Napoleon, OH
VSG on 10/05/12 with

I have the same issues if I don't drink enough fluids. I also drink G2 Gatorade. It really does help.Give it a try and take care!

A. Kondrlik
on 2/22/13 10:07 pm
VSG on 01/24/13

Went back to work yesterday and was dizzy in the afternoon.  I figured it was just stress.  I have some G2, will take a bottle to work on Monday and give that a try.  thanks for the great tip.

Anne

HW 259    GW 145    CW 140.2  Not finished yet?   

Kabooboo
on 2/22/13 10:47 pm

I had similar issues the first few months post-op. My blood  pressure was getting to be very low, like 85/50. It got much better over time. My blood pressure is still low, but not low enough to make me dizzy. Buy a BP cuff and take your pressure when you are feeling dizzy. I was told that drinking a lot of fluids and adding more salt to my diet were the only things that would help. Good luck! Everything gets much better as time goes on.

Minemake14
on 2/23/13 12:08 am

It might be a case of Vertigo.  I developed it after my last surgery about 18 months ago- it was scary at first, I would actually be sitting and a room would start spinning.... but it passes with time. try shaking your head side to side really fast when it starts. It helped me.

Nanato2
on 2/23/13 12:11 am - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

Yes I have been having the same thing off and on remember even at 4 weeks out your body is still healing and readjusting. So just take it easy bending down and getting up to fast.

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

thinnersinner
on 2/23/13 1:01 am

I had this until about 1.5 months.  From what I've read it's very common especially when you are struggling to get in your fluids so early out.  It gets better...just keep up on the fluids.

SeaGirl
on 2/23/13 1:51 am
VSG on 02/01/13
Thanks - you guys are the best! I will increase my fluids and try some G2. Thanks again!

happyteacher
on 2/23/13 9:58 am

It is a persistent issue for me, and the cause varies.

1.  Low blood sugar.  Are you on metformin or anything by chance..... if so check with the doc.  Are you eating low carb?  Just pay attention to when you are dizzy.  Has it been a while without carb?  Even better if you can test.  If eating a little carb makes you feel better within 15 minutes this may very well be the culprit.

2.  Low blood pressure.  Are you on meds?  Again, check with the doc you may need an adjustment.  Personally, my blood pressure is now very low and it took a while to figure out that my sodium levels were too low.  I first added in Powerade zero which helped a little.  Now, I make it a point to track sodium, eat pickles, jerky, etc.  This along with loads of fluids takes care of it.    If I let fluids get a little low or sodium, the dizziness returns.

3.  I had a nasty case of vertigo years ago.  That could be it and all, but I think the above two are more likely.  

Really track when it is occurring to look for a pattern.  Check your blood pressure often, and if possible your blood sugar too. 

Good luck!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active