New to this board...sorry so long...

chica904
on 2/28/13 8:00 pm - Neptune Township, NJ

Hi I am new to this board...I was previously on the Pregnancy Related board...however..now I think this board is more appropriate as I recently had my band removed (November 2012) and on Monday had the revision to Sleeve.  

I had my LAPBand surgery July 2009 and I did extremely well with it...better than most and better than the doctor even predicted.  I had lost almost all my weight within the 1st year.   In July 2010 I got a surprise positive pregnancy test.  In November 2010 I had my fluid removed, as I started having difficulty with eating. This continued throughout the pregnancy and in April 2011 had a Gall bladder attack.  Subsequently, I found out I had gall stones. Due to this attack my daughter was one week early (no complications) and I have not had any gall bladders attacks since..thankfully.  Still no fluid and trouble keeping food down.  Had an upper GI and everything was "perfect".  Then in July 2011 another surprise positive pregnancy test.  Throughout this second pregnancy, no fluid in the band....not keeping food down well. Fast forward to November 2012. Two babies later, no fluid, no gall bladder attack, but STILL can't keep food down.  So after having another upper GI, abdominal ultrasound, and endoscopy, it turns out the band may be causing my issue. Doctor says that I may have formed scar tissue under the area where the band is placed.  So even tho I have no fluid in the band, there is still restriction from the scar tissue making it hard for me to eat and process food completely.  I had the band and my gall bladder removed in November right after Thanksgiving and I got approved to get revised to the sleeve at the same time but the doctor wanted me to heal for 6-8 weeks to confirm that the issue is just the band and not anything else internal.  Turns out it was just the band.  

So here we are, Sleeve revision was completed this past Monday, everything went smoothly, I stayed in the hospital one night and went to work by Wednesday.  I am a single mother of 2 so cant really afford to be out of work.  But let me tell you, I feel great. Im tolerating the liquids with no problem, im walking, no gas, no pain, its almost as if I didn't have surgery.  

So my question now is, for those *****vised from Band to Sleeve, how did the tranisition go for you? Anything to really look out for? How long did you do the liquids/mushy/solids time table? Im not trying to pu**** but honestly, I am so sick of the liquid diet, and since I feel fine, I feel like I can move on to some soft things (babyfood, mashed potatoes)....am I just crazy..lol.  Any feedback would help.  This is my last go around with surgeries and taking this weight off for live.... 

Thanks for letting me rant..hope to make some new connections on this board!!  Hope you all have a great Friday!!

Melinda

Starting Sleeve Weight (2/25/13) - 233

Current Weight (7/1/13) - 197

Goal Weight - 175

mary d
on 2/28/13 8:27 pm

I had a very similar easy recovery.  I felt like million bucks within a week. 

My Dr. told me that since my esophagus had already been conditioned to restriction by the band, that I could progress my diet as tolerated.  No clear liquids and only full liquids till I felt comfortable progressing.  I was eating soft foods within a week.

Why don't you call your Dr. and see what he has to say.

Welcome to sleeve life.  You are going to love it.

Lap Band 2006  

VSG 2008

Jls8877
on 2/28/13 11:46 pm
Welcome! Congratulations on your family and new sleeve. I think the best advice is to follow your doctor's plan. Even though you want to advance your diet (I completely get this!), you should take it slow! You will get to soft food sooner than you think.
Best of luck!!!
Zee Starrlite
on 2/28/13 11:57 pm

Hi Chica!

Glad you've had an smooth surgery and are healing well.  I love my sleeved stomach.  Quite a breeze compared to the band.

Please make sure that you DO NOT advance your diet no matter how sick of it you are.  Make friends with now and do the best you can.  Time passes fast and we heal each day.  Slow down a bit sister.  I get that you are single mom but things can sneak up on us when we take things for granted.  Get somebody over and kick up your feet for a while.  I went back to work in 5 days but I slowed it down.  My time was all about ME healing no matter what was going on around me.  Yep, I focused on me like a laser beam.  I want to have that back so bad!

All the very best to you hun.

Layla

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 90 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 311 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 361 views