First few weeks' weight losses?

SandyRi
on 3/15/13 5:21 pm - WA
VSG on 03/04/13
At 7 days post op, i had lost 4 lbs. I had hoped for more...but knew that the surgery and post surgery IVs would have fluid weight. But now 11 days post op, and i have not lost even another single pound! I know i should not weigh every day, but i cant help it. Just looking for 1 or 2 lbs. But nothing! I had a day or two of constipatiion, but that cleared up and i thought 'ok now the scale will move'. But no. Im getting very sad. Im following plan...how can i eat less then 700 calories (abt 60g protein from shakes) and not lose anything?!? When will the scale start to move? What were your first several weeks weight losses???

Surgery date:  03/04/2013

Calking
on 3/15/13 6:03 pm
VSG on 05/31/12

Your first mistake is trying to find out what other people's results were.  You are an unique individual that will loose weight in your own way and time.  Please don't try to compare your results to anyone else's as this is a road that doesn't lead to anything good. 

That being said, are you recording your food intake in a journal or online somewhere like http://www.myfitnesspal.com/  If not, then start doing that.  You say you are eating less than 700 calories ... are you sure?  The only other things I can think of is how much are you drinking each day?  At least 64 oz.?  Also I would see if it is possible to increase your protein a little bit ... not sure it will help much but I know that I was getting about 80 g protein per day.  You may be as you said 60 g from shakes ... is there another 20 g from other sources?

I would suggest creating a reply to your own post with what you typically eat in a day.  Perhaps there is something that can be seen from that.  If you are on my fitness pal, then get some friends from this forum and have them look at your food log.  They would be able to give you some suggestions that might be more helpful than randomly guessing what is going on.

Finally if you suspect something isn't quite right, then you should contact either your surgeon or nutritionist soon so that they can correct whatever is not working.

Hope that this helps.

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

SuzyNZ
on 3/15/13 6:42 pm
VSG on 09/17/12
You need to relax.

It took me 10 days to lose the weight I GAINED through the surgery (14lbs), just to get back to where I was pre-op.

It didn't go on overnight and its not going to come off overnight.

Suzy wink (Age: 41, Height: 6'1,  SW: 169.4kg/372lb.  CW: 80.5kg/177lb.  Total lost: 88.9kg/195lbs)

LilSleeved
on 3/15/13 7:33 pm

Are you eating a high number of carbs?  You said you're drinking your protein, are you also drinking or eating things that have a lot of sugar?

Even at 700 calories, I stall if I am taking in too many carbs.  Have you started walking a bit?  You're only a week out, but you can walk a little around the block or neighborhood.

Everyone loses differently.  Some lose really fast and others do not.  There truly is no rhyme or reason to the way it works.  You just set yourself up for disappointment when you want to compare yourself to others. 

Do you track your intake?  Everything?  Start if you don't know.  Read labels and track everything.

Lost 271lbs with my LapBand in 22 months!  My Band malfunctioned and I gained almost 42lbs and then revised to the Sleeve 9/24/12!  I lost another 140 lbs with my Sleeve!  Loved the LapBand and Lovin' The Sleeve!

SandyRi
on 3/16/13 5:41 am - WA
VSG on 03/04/13

Thanks all!  I do realize everyone's weight loss is different - I guess that's what I like about this board - to see the wide variety of experiences, and appreciate people sharing!

I have been writing down my food intake on paper - but I am going to start putting in MFP - as sometimes, I'm not quite as disciplined on paper, or really tracking exact liquids (I know it's greater than 50, etc).  I have also been 'guessing' at portion sizes - ie: I measured what a half a cup looks like in a bowl I use - but then don't always measure my meal.  I will start measuring it so that I can properly track it.  I am only on sugar free stuff.  

I've only been on puree since Wed - so only had 1 puree item per day (my choice) cus I want to have it in a 'safe' environment (at home) incase there are any 'adverse' reactions.  In the last day or so, I'm also learning more to listen to 'I think I should stop' and body feelings and ignore the 'clean your plate' -- even though it's a small serving -- because while I've not had any really bad experiences - I do know I've eaten a bit too much (3 more bites to clean the plate) and then I'm very uncomfortable.  So now - I'll either leave those three bites for another time or throw it away (and that's just fine - there are no starving kids in China that want it!). 

Guess I'm just anxious to see progress.  But it's taken a long time to get here - I just have to be patient.

Surgery date:  03/04/2013

angelladyclaire
on 3/16/13 10:20 am - MO

I am just one month out,  but the numbers dropped very slowly the first 2 weeks. After that I started losing a pound every day or 2.  I know everyone will have different results, but that is how it happened for me. You still have a lot of inflammation and such going on. Just keep plugging away! And no, I don't expect that my current rate of weight loss will continue. I haven't hit a stall yet, so I figure I'm due!

HW: 283   SW: 262  Height: 5'4''  Surgery:​ 2/13/13

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 66 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 250 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 318 views