What kinda beans can I eat??

msmetha
on 3/27/13 10:30 am - MO
I'm 14 days post op and I'm trying to stay on plan..I fell off a little bit..I haven't been eating bad, just before schedule..like low fat crackers and lean turkey deli meat..now I can have beans but I don't knw what kind..can I have veggie beans??
VerucaSallt
on 3/27/13 11:10 am - NJ
VSG on 10/11/12 with

I'm not sure what veggie beans are, but I remember on my plan it said refried beans.  I had lots of different kinds at that stage, I just got them canned with no salt added.  I had them with something else, because I didn't want to get any gas discomfort.

msmetha
on 3/27/13 11:27 am - MO
Veggie beans are in a can kinda like pork and beans but without the meat..I really wnted to know if I could have canned beans..what else would you eat them with??
swizzlequeen
on 3/27/13 11:41 am

Hummus (but can be somewhat high in fat for the amount of protein, so go easy)

Lentils; lentil soup

Edemame

vegetarian refried beans, heated, with a bit of shredded cheese on top

black bean soup.

black bean refried beans, heated, with a dollop of plain Greek yogurt on top

(if you are at a stage that you are allowed to have bread) -- split pea soup, chilled -- makes it nice and thick. Use it as yummo sandwich spread with a bit of mayo or Greek yogurt, lettuce/tomato...

white beans, chilled, drizzled with lemon juice and maybe a bit of olive oil, finely diced onion -- on top of salad...

mix any of the above refried beans (from a can) with plain greek yogurt, dash of garlic powder, maybe thin with lemon juice, use as a dip for vegetables..make bean soup with any of the above refrieds from a can, mix with a can of water,  add lightly sauteed vegetables of your choice, heat on stove,  and if you sprinkle with a bit of shredded cheese, I will invite myself over to your house for dinner!!

enjoy! ;)

VerucaSallt
on 3/27/13 12:00 pm - NJ
VSG on 10/11/12 with

Yea, what she said!

Kelly-AnneH
on 3/27/13 1:54 pm - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Can I come to your house? I love beans!

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

swizzlequeen
on 3/27/13 11:46 am

I should add that you should check with your program's surgeon/dietician to see if your program  has any restrictions on the kinds of beans you are allowed.

This morning I had a class with my program's dietician -- it was about introducing our first solid foods -- I am 16 days post-op-- and the dietician pointed out that the only protein foods that we had talked about today that ALSO have fiber are...the beans! (the other protein foods were hard cheeses, cottage and ricotta, eggs, lean deli meats, Greek yogurt, canned chicken, tuna, sardines, salmon...OK with her to eat the bones!! also tiny bits of fats/oils like olive oil and avocado. At this point, starches and veggies as a side are not recommended (teeny tiny bits of veg as a seasoning is OK, though...)

Gabby46
on 3/27/13 2:24 pm

wow. this food talk is makin me hungry. i love beans too. smiley

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 304 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 350 views