Missing food..how can I cope??

msmetha
on 3/28/13 12:22 pm - MO
I am 16 days out and I'm finding myself missing food terribly. I am a stress eater and right now I'm under alot of stress. Over the last few days, I've been craving food. Today I got a grilled chicken wrap from Wendy's (I know, I know) after taking 2 bites, I felt sick so I threw it away. Trying my best to stick to my plan. I'm down 23 pounds and I'm excited about that!! I am just afraid that if I don't find a way to cope, I will not be successful. I have had good self control as my sister who is staying with me has been cooking really good food for her and my baby and I haven't broke once but it's getting harder and harder. I find myself regretting this. Anyone else feel this way?? I want to be successful!! I haven't been motivated to exercise. I know that is gonna play a huge part in my success. What to do???
Adiposebegone_2011
on 3/28/13 12:30 pm

I haven't had surgery yet. My therapist recommended I read The Emotional Eater's Repair Manual by Julie M. Simon. It has helped me to better deal with my food addiction before surgery.

PaisleyParker
on 3/28/13 12:54 pm
VSG on 03/20/13

Wow! Congrats on the great weight loss! That's incredible in just over 2 weeks.

I'm 9 days out and I miss food at times too. I'm really trying to focus on letting my sleeve heal. I don't want to eat anything that will set me back. Eventually we will be able to have a lot more food choices. Just not for a few short weeks. Hang in there! Everyone here says that it gets much better. I'm counting on it.

pedirn06
on 3/28/13 1:14 pm
VSG on 01/26/12
It gets better with time. For me one of the most difficult things (early on) was wanting to eat foods that tasted so good to me before surgery. However, they did not taste so good anymore and made my tummy hurt. That made me very sad. However, my taste has changed and I really enjoy different foods now. I would say I eat more "quality" foods instead of quantity. It does take time and you are very early out. Be patient with yourself.

As time has gone on, I have found it helpful to track all of my intake with MFP, measure my food, plan ahead, eat protein first and keep up with the posts on this forum.

Another thing that has worked for me is trying low carb recipes. Some have been very tasty. Recently, my interest has turned to organic produce. Lol
pedirn06

mornings
on 3/28/13 1:14 pm - Canada

hello  im 26 days out since surgery and it will get easy perhaps  add more liquids it maybe  your body's way  of telling you more liquids  and you are taking it for hunger   yet  i know  at times i to  get hungery  i try to eat more fruit  and when i crave something sweet i cut apples and use waldons   carmel   over them  it has no calories  and they  have great products for  weight loss ....  just try to fill that void your feeling with healthy choices   in  a month you will be so happy you  did this ,  dont regret  the lifestyle change  this will add years of happiness to your life as you watch yourself shrink ,  btw   i am a month out  i lost 29 lbs so your  23 lbs in 16 days is amazing

mnmommaof2
on 3/28/13 1:27 pm
VSG on 11/23/12

Right after surgery when my diet was so restricted and eating anything was ridiculously hard I went through kind of a food mourning period.  I had built this relationship with food my entire life and suddenly it wasn't there anymore.  I remember thinking about the food buffets I would no longer be able to enjoy, and the snacking I would miss.  I was frustrated!

All I can say is that it gets better.  My cravings went away after the first two months and I have adjusted to a new lifestyle.  I've found ways to still enjoy the foods I love, but in a VSG friendly way.  You will be successful!  It just takes time to adjust. 

And... I didn't start exercising untill about 3 months out.  I was just too tired in the begining to expend that kind of energy.  There will be a day when you wake up and WANT to exercise... that just takes time too. 

Highest weight 279.8

Surgery weight 268 

woon
on 3/28/13 9:46 pm - WV

Do you know that eating solid  food too early can be dangerous ?  I understand the emotions one faces early on... but to me that is not the Issue with this post. Please consider the amount of stress you place on newly sleeved stomach.

Minemake14
on 3/28/13 9:48 pm

Instead of eating in reaction to stress you might try....a short walk, journaling, meditation, cleaning out a closet of stuff that does not fit anymore...anything to remind you that you/your health are worth more than any stress that is going on in the moment.

JimiB
on 3/28/13 10:04 pm - NJ

Honey, my surgery is scheduled for Tuesday 4/2/13 and I have been on the 2 week pre-diet and it's killing me.  Before, during and after dinner all of my thoughts are consumed with food.  Every commercial on tv is about food.  But, I'm bigger then this, much bigger.  I am going to make it..... and I'm going to make it successfully!!!  I've been too far for too long to get to this point and fail..... AGAIN....  I successfully quit drugs, successfully quit drinking, successfully quit smoking.  Now it's time to SUCCESSFULLY LOSE WEIGHT!!!!

SophieNJ
on 3/28/13 10:35 pm - Parsippany, NJ
VSG on 03/05/13

a book I found very helpful -

The Emotional First + Aid Kit: A Practical Guide to Life After Bariatric Surgery

it's too late to do  now, but I had plenty of food funerals, and said my goodbyes then.  my hubby is having his food funerals now, and while i can look at the food and remember it tasted so good, I keep in mind that I have healing stitches and staples in my tummy, and nothing is worth them being compromised by any food. I sure don't want to wind up in the emergency room cause I didn't control my eating.  I've had enough of the foods that got me to this point in the first place. 

listen to everyone in the above posts...something there is going to hit home with you, and you'll be able to be stronger.

best of luck, please take care of yourself

Sophie

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 85 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 298 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 346 views