Bariatric cereal and oatmeal

prairie-dog-girl
on 3/29/13 11:51 am

I bought some high protein/low carb cereal (kinda like cherrios with cinnamon) and oatmeal from Bariatric Advantage. I like them both ,but, they are individual servings that work about to about $2 a pack! I've never been to Trader Joe's or Whole Foods. I'd like to go there and am wondering if they sell anything like that in boxes, instead of individual serving packets? Thanks!

MacMadame
on 3/29/13 12:34 pm - Northern, CA

Not anything high enough protein. It' best to make your own. You buy a tub of "unflavored" protein powder and add it to oatmeal, cereal, yogurt, hot chocolate, coffee, anything you'd like really, to make it have a high protein content. Since the powder has no flavor added, it won't overpower whatever you put it in.

It does have a "flavor" though. The flavor of "whey" Because of that, some people prefer to do this with chocolate or vanilla protein powder instead.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

prairie-dog-girl
on 3/29/13 12:39 pm

I was going to add unflavored   to one serving  plain quick oats one day and when I read the label, it had 27 carbs, too much. I do add protein to other things, but, I do occasionally enjoy cereal/oatmeal.

MacMadame
on 3/29/13 1:13 pm - Northern, CA

27g. Yikes!

I haven't had oatmeal in about two years - I guess that's why. 

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

pedirn06
on 3/29/13 1:03 pm
VSG on 01/26/12
On occasion I mix 1 tablespoon flax seed and 1 tablespoon oats in 1/3 cup carbmaster milk. Microwave 30 seconds and add Splenda. You can adjust the liquid to suit your taste. When this box of Quaker oats is gone, I will switch to steel cut oats.
pedirn06

prairie-dog-girl
on 3/29/13 1:39 pm

What are steel cut oats? What are protein and carbs?

Alove188
on 3/29/13 3:42 pm
VSG on 01/28/13

Check out:  Dixie Diner Smaps Cereal, or Dixie Diner Nutlettes (I think that's what the second one is called)

I have them but didn't have a good reaction to them bc I'm only about 2 months out, but if you're far along, I'd really recommend them, not overly sweetened and great nutritional stats

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 3/29/13 7:07 pm
VSG on 10/09/12
I bought that cereal too and my kids cleaned it out and finished everything before I had time to turn around. My son trippled up on the packets. They want more. Darned kids! It is pretty expensive but really good!! Too bad they don't ship to Europe. I always have to have friends bring it over or when I travel.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

pedirn06
on 3/30/13 12:35 am
VSG on 01/26/12
Steel cut oats are just less processed than quick oats. Idk stats.
Quick oats 12.5 calories and 2.25 carbs 0.4 protein per tablespoon dry

Flax seed 30 calories 2 carbs (2 fiber) and 1.5 protein. Per tablespoon

Carb master milk 20 calories 1 carb 3.6 protein 1/3 cup
pedirn06

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 316 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 363 views