Confused

msmetha
on 4/9/13 5:13 am - MO
I see people saying how many calories they are supposed to have a day..that was never discussed with me..I don't knw how many calories or carbs I should have a day
vogue
on 4/9/13 5:17 am
VSG on 08/30/12

for a "normal" VSG patient, post-op you should consume 600-800 calories daily...  less than 30-40 carbs...  more than 80 grams of protein, which is the priority

MuttLover
on 4/9/13 5:28 am
VSG on 11/14/12

My Nut tells us not to count calories -- just protein and keep carbs low.  But I count.

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

swizzlequeen
on 4/9/13 5:28 am

...but, Vouge, according to whom? Where does this information come from?

Each surgeon and/or bariatric program seems to have different philosophies and approaches to this question. At the moment, my program does not want me to worry about calories. I am about 1 month post-op.

The approach that you have explained here may be the one that is supported by your surgeon and/or bariatric program, but it may not apply to everyone. There is a very wide variety of approaches out there!

msmetha, you may want to go back to your program and/or the bariatric program to ask your question. What do they recommend for their patients? It is interesting that this was never discussed with you -- when you find out, please let us know!

Jackie T.
on 4/9/13 5:55 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

Unfortunately there are a lot of doctor's offices that do not give you this information.  Mine was keep your protein above 60 and that was it!  You don't count anything.

I choose to follow what some of the successful vets do which is what was mentioned above in 600-800 calories, 20-40 carbs and drink lots and lots.

You will have to find what works for you if you don't have any support from your surgeons office which is my case.  These are only guidelines and you have to do what works for you.

There is no one correct way!

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

swizzlequeen
on 4/9/13 6:02 am

I think that my response to Vouge may have been a bit sharp. For that, I apologise.

I think that we have to be aware that it is easy to get the impression -- by reading this board, that there is only one acceptable, effective way to eat with a sleeve/lose weight.

The truth is, there is more than just one approach! Other than my understanding, which is that prioritizing adequate protein intake, and adequate fluid intake do seem to be universal principles of VSG eating pattern requirements, there do NOT seem to be any other universal or uniform principles -- there is a very very wide variety of ways of structuring calories, carbohydrates, fruit, vegetables, and the "stages' of moving from the immediate post-op period to a lifetime of healthy eating...one of the big things that I have learned on this board is that each surgeon seems to have his/her own set of instructions, which I guess are based on his/her surgical technique, and probably some other reasons that I do not fully understand at this point. Hopefully, each surgeon and bariatric program will have some flexibility even within their list of instructions, so that their patients' individual needs, preferences, and psychologies can be accomodated for maximal success...

Because of this, I always like to redirect our OH friends with these kinds of questions back to their program and/or their bariatric dieticians for definite answers to their questions, so that the answers are correct and consistent with their surgery and their surgeon's program../.

However, it is always interesting to see what our OH friends are finding that works for them, or that the instructions that they were given...but we must be careful to avoid creating the impression that there is one single, acceptable, standardized, universal way to do things.

With friendship and respect,

=Swizzlequeen=

msmetha
on 4/9/13 6:50 am - MO
I will..I go for my one month check up next week..I will ask
juddfan1974
on 4/9/13 5:50 am - TN
VSG on 07/02/12

The program I am in admits that they are more strict than most. 

• 400-600 calories per day
  • 60-80 grams of protein per day
  • no more that 20 grams of carbs per day

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 76 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 279 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 332 views