Newbie just starting the process for sleeve

Missylaneous
on 4/12/13 2:23 am - DE

Hello All, I am a total "newb" I have been poking around trying to get an idea as to how things run. Sorry in advance if this does not belong here. I promise I will figure this all out eventually :-)

I am 26 years old, I have P.C.O.S. and have dramatically gained weight since the age of 19. I went from a size 16 to a 26. 7 doctors have recommended WLS. I considered the Opti-Fast program through our hospital here in Delaware but that consultant recommended the WLS as well. The PCOS. makes this weight loss journey frustrating so I realize I need help.

I attended my required seminar, consultation, and nutrition visit. I still have to see a cardiologist, lung doctor, psychologist and have my endoscopy scheduled for 4/26. All of these are required before the hospital will submit to insurance. (I am sure it is similar everywhere. I'm still learning). I made this attempt 2 years ago when I was 40 pounds lighter but my insurance would not pay for it. I have insurance that will pay 100% with no hoops to jump through now but unfortunately it is changing over to Cigna soon. All of it really is as confusing as I made it sound. My husband returned to his old company so I am very familiar with the type of plan as it gave me trouble before.

I have elected the sleeve as it was the most appealing to me. The surgical team turned down my request for the band 2 years ago given my PCOS (has anyone else had that happen?)

The nutrition office is being pretty helpful. They want me to start my classes now so they can work on my case for Cigna in order to get me in for surgery over the summer (fingers crossed no more road blocks)

My initial question about the sleeve has to do with the "acid reflux" sensation. I currently have acid reflux. The seminar suggested those with reflux should choose the bypass over the sleeve. Has anyone had severe issues with this?

Thank you for listening to all my babbling.

kenwilliams
on 4/12/13 2:42 am

Welcome to the site.  Your post is just fine

About your reflux issue.  You should get a better picture of what might be causing it when you have your endoscopy.  With that information you and your surgeon can make more of an informed decision.  You asked about others having troubles.  I had intermittent bouts of reflux for years.  Everyone who looked down my esophagus said everything was OK.  When the surgeon went in to do my sleeve he found a large hiatal hernia.  He fixed it along with doing the sleeve.  That was January thirtieth and I have had zero reflux since.  So it all depends on what was causing the problem.

You mentioned Optifast in your post.  I was on that for my preop liquid diet.  It will certainly strip the weight off in a hurry, but in the end it is still a DIET.  The simple fact is that 98% of people who lose significant weight by dieting will regain the weight within two years.  Whatever procedure you choose, you will have an infinitely better chance of long term success.  You will have a powerful tool to help you.

I wish you the best  of luck as you journey down the road to better health. 

Micmac2
on 4/12/13 4:09 am
Hi!

Good luck on your journey first of all. I am 6 months out and although my doc required me to take acid reflux meds after surgery for six months I didn't the whole time. I had reflux prior to vsg and it caused some severe panic attacks too! I myself am reflux free unless I push the food volume then many of us pay for that . Everyone is different as you will see on these boards but most have great results dealing with reflux after (or not at all). Good luck again!
debk21
on 4/12/13 4:23 am - Mansfield, TX

Woo Hoo!  Congrats on your decision.  I also had an endoscopy and it was determined that a hiatal hernia was the culprit for me as well.  My doc also fixed that when he did the sleeve.  You'll know more about the reflux (and how to treat it) after that's done.  Keep the questions coming because knowledge is power!

Good luck to you!!!

Deb

Goal Reached in 12.5 Months
HW: 274   Pre-OpW: 266   SW: 254   CW: 125  GW: 145

You must permanently change your lifestyle if you want your weight loss to be permanent. You can do it!

Jackie T.
on 4/12/13 6:16 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

Welcome no matter which surgery you decide to do.  Remember this is all a learning process and the surgery is a tool and you will need to maximize your tool by following your doctor's plan.  It is not a magic bullet but it will definitely help you get the weight off, then it will be up to you to keep it off. 

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 389 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views