MASSIVE HEARTBURN..... HELP!!!!!

JimiB
on 4/16/13 5:19 am - NJ

I was sleeved 2 weeks ago today, since my surgery I've lost 9 pounds and I seem to have stalled.  Anywho..... since the surgery I have had massive heartburn, especially at night when I lay down to sleep.  I have never, ever had heartburn in my life but now it doesn't go away.  Anyone experience this????? Anyone have any solutions??? What works??? What can I use that works that won't mess up my sleeve??? Will my sleeve be affected???  Thanks

Deckeriv
on 4/16/13 5:36 am - TX
VSG on 03/26/13

Go get some Tums for immediate relief. You can chew them up. Get some Prilosec and start taking a pill every morning. The generic is called Omeprazole and it comes in a capsule and is half the price. That is what I buy.  It takes a few days before it starts working but it does wonders. If it doesn't kick all of it, take another at night.

The above works for me but you might also want to call your doctor and get a prescription PPI.

Heartburn sucks for sure.

800 calories and less than 20 net carbs is the shizzle

Islandertra
on 4/16/13 5:39 am - Courtenay, Canada
VSG on 05/15/13

Have you tried Nexium. I know that it is what a lot of Dr's recomend for at least for first 6 months following sleeve surgery. Tracy

sarapilar
on 4/16/13 5:49 am
VSG on 02/21/13

Did they get your gallbladder out at the same time as the Sleeve?  Did they see an hiatal hernia in there?  Sometimes people develop gallbladder problems after VSG.  I had mine taken out as a preventative measure!  And had a hernia repaired.

Also - some people just have so much acid in their new Sleeve - are you hungry?  That can be a sign of lots of acid.  I am on the max dose of Nexium, 40 mgs twice a day.  I started on small doses of the other PPI, but needed the MAX. And also drink antacid liquids.  I would call your surgeon and get all of this sorted out. 

Sorry you are going through this, heartburn is just awful!

"The most difficult part of changing how you live and eat is believing that change is possible. It takes a fierce kind of love for yourself."Geneen Roth

datachick
on 4/16/13 5:50 am - WA
VSG on 10/26/12

Call your surgeon's office, they will prescribe something. They want you to be comfortable.

as for your "stall"--normal. body getting used to its new configuration. Just keep going.

VSG 10/26/12 • HEIGHT 5'4"
GW = 140 lbs met Month 9
CW = 133
lbs
Loss per Month: 8 >  9 > 7 > SURGERY  > 15 > 10 > 10 > 10 > 7 > 5 > 6
  > 6 > 5 > 5 > 0

It works if you work it; it sorta works if you sorta work it; and it doesn't work if you don't work it.

mnmommaof2
on 4/16/13 10:56 pm
VSG on 11/23/12

Call your surgeon and get a prescription strength PPI.  I'm on pantoprazole 20mg's twice a day.  The medicine will take a few days to kick in, so use over the counter Gaviscon to help you until meds take effect, and then you can use it during the day for occasional flare ups.  Gaviscon creates a layer of film that sits on top of the acid and keeps it down.  It tastes terrible but works fantastically!

I was chewing Tums like crazy to help with the heartburn until my surgeon told me that while Tums gives immediate relief, it actually increases the amount of acid in your stomach long term, and prolongs your acid issues. Switch to Gaviscon!

Highest weight 279.8

Surgery weight 268 

snowbaby
on 4/17/13 12:33 pm - Durango, CO

Knowing what I know now - almost 3 years out - I would start with anything BUT a PPI. I was told to take a PPI (Prilosec, Prevacid, et al) and ended up with calcium and magnesium deficiencies of which I am still struggling to recover from. Once you start on a PPI it is very difficult to get off them. I have tried several times and end up with rebound reflux comparable to a constantly erupting volcano. I would suggest talking to a pharmacist or your Dr. about what your options are - but try hard to stay away from PPI's!

Sue 

Bichon Mom2 Oval Sticker

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 100 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 324 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 368 views