Quest bars

ababenoit
on 4/28/13 11:54 am - LA
VSG on 04/08/13
Are quest bars bad for you? I was thinking it may be good to get my protein and something that taste good in. Maybe as my lunch??

Keith L.
on 4/28/13 12:43 pm - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

They are not bad for you but you should only use them in a pinch. It is way better for you to get your protein from meat and such sources. The quest bars are really good because they are loaded with fiber but you should limit them because they are basically candy in the sense that they are more like eating a sweet treat than a meal. I am not a fan of them as a meal replacement because they could easily drive you to eating something you shouldn't. That being said if you are late for work and don't have time to make a protein shake, they are good to grab on your way out the door.

For your lunch you would be much better off with a small cottage cheese and some turkey jerky. Or better yet, your leftovers from the night before.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Sheryl G.
on 4/28/13 1:01 pm - IL
VSG on 09/17/12

I just had my first Quest bar yesterday. I was on a weekend bus trip with meals provided, but I knew there would be nothing that would fit in my plan. I've avoided the Quest bars because I was afraid they would be too much like eating candy bars. I was right. Although I liked both flavors that I had, I will only use them as Keith says "in a pinch." Too big a trigger for me!! They sure came in handy, though, around the lasagna, pizza, and casserole options I would have been faced with this weekend!

If you change nothing, nothing will change.      

MacMadame
on 4/28/13 5:24 pm - Northern, CA

Well I think they taste like Monkey's Ass. So that makes them bad FOR ME! :)

As far as protein bars go, Quest are one of the better ones out there. They have only have a handful of ingredients and are mostly whey protein, some flavorings and fiber. They use sucralose for their sweetener (more commonly known by the brand name Splenda.)

Most protein bars have a lot more artificial ingredients, a lot more sugar and/or sugar alcohols and  a lot more carbs. However, having so much fiber means you may get a bit gassy if you eat a lot of them. (It's also probably why I think they taste like monkey's ass.)

Some people find protein bars to be a trigger food. They are kind of a like a pseudo-healthy candy bar. Some people find that to be a good thing -- they crave something like a Snickers and have a protein bar instead.

Personally, I didn't eat many bars while I was in the losing phase. Even the "good" ones had too many carbs. But in maintenance, I eat them a lot. They are the exact right volume and calories and protein level for a good "on the go" snack or meal. Sometimes they trigger me and then I put them away for a while but mostly they don't. Mostly they will hold me in a way that other choices do not. Though if I cooked more, I'd probably eat less of them.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Deckeriv
on 4/28/13 9:04 pm - TX
VSG on 03/26/13
AmberK
on 4/28/13 10:41 pm
VSG on 03/07/12 with

I enjoy a few quest bars a week, but I'm a year out. I would not touch them until at least 6 months post op. You should be eating so little,that these would be too much carbs right now. IMO

VSG 3/07/12     HW:260   SW: 249   CW:164  

(deactivated member)
on 4/28/13 10:48 pm
VSG on 06/04/12

I have one several times a week. To each his own. They don't "trigger" me. If they had a salty Dorito flavored one they might...

rhearob
on 4/28/13 11:58 pm - TN

They aren't bad for you.  That said, I would not use them except in an emergency during weight loss.  When you are on a 600-800 calorie regimen, a 160 - 220 calorie quest bar is a meal replacement.  I would only use them during weight loss when I was traveling and wouldn't be able to eat, say on an airplane or in an airport with limited options.

You need dense proteins that are going to satisfy you and keep you satiated.  Not a candy bar with 20g of protein.

I use quest bars as mid morning and mid afternoon snacks now that I am in maintenance and have the additional calories to burn.

VSG: 11/2/2011; LBL+Thigh Lift+BL: 10/3/2012; Brach+Mastopexy:  7/22/2013

Kelly-AnneH
on 4/29/13 1:11 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
As protein bars go they taste considerably better than most and they can be a great way to get in some much needed fibre. A plus that people don't think to mention is they're NOT coated with "chocolate" so they aren't messy to eat like most other bars.

I cut several in 1/2 at a time and wrap the halves, then keep a couple of those in my purse and workout bag. At about 100 calories, 10g protein and 7-9g fibre I find them perfect as a snack for after my workout or while running errands. If my fibre is low for the day and I have the calorie space, I will sometimes nibble on a 1/2 bar with my evening decaf.

I like them, but tend to think of them as "temperature stable useful" rather than,"Yay - I get to have a bar!"

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

sarapilar
on 4/29/13 1:20 am
VSG on 02/21/13

I really love the new Chocolate Chip one.  Especially if you microwave it for 10 seconds.  A couple of weeks ago I was eating too many (but oddly, I was still losing weight?), and now I am trying to only eat maybe two a week.  Like other say,I am trying to make dense real protein my choice.

"The most difficult part of changing how you live and eat is believing that change is possible. It takes a fierce kind of love for yourself."Geneen Roth

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 364 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 409 views