Day 8 Post Op? Did I make a huge mistake? Blended Chili?

VSGSteve
on 4/24/13 7:20 am, edited 4/24/13 7:21 am - NJ
VSG on 04/17/13

Hey Guys,

I'm doing absolutely wonderful thus far. I'm down 34 Pounds since my start...  My doctor approved me to start my full liquid diet 2 days ago.... Ive asked and read that you could blend soups... I have a Vitamix Blender which fully blasts and pulverizes anything you put in it. Yesterday I blended a Progresso Chicken Veg Soup with Pasta. There wasn't anything left piece wise after blending. Just liquid consistency... I remember seeing reading alot of members eating Wendy's chili, small cup... Today I put a small cup with little water in my Vitamix... It came out again like liquid, thicker consistency, but end result there wasn't one chuck of anything... Well I ate it...  Small spoons, slow and steady. I ate the whole cup...  Made me full, satisfied and made me feel really good. Was I not supposed to eat this 8 days in? I keep hearing my nutrtionist saying to me "As long as there are no chunks, it's fine" ????

Thoughts??  To Soon??  I ate it over 3 hours ago. No problems, never had gas, went down nicely??

Thanks in Advance,

Steve

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Willowbeez
on 4/24/13 7:28 am - Ontario, Canada
VSG on 05/14/13

I don't know if you should or not but I would be afraid of the spices irritating a tummy that hasn't healed completely - but I have no idea whether chili is a no no at this point if you've pulverized the crap out of it.  The spice is just my fear.  

emelar
on 4/24/13 7:36 am - TX

What you're describing is purees, not full liquids.  Full liquid means liquid that doesn't have to be clear.  So you could have the broth from the soup, but not any of the solids, even if you blended them down.  Same thing with chili - puree, not full liquid.  Full liquids are your protein shakes, broths, popsicles/fudgsicles.  Some full liquid phases allow yogurt or jello (my dietitian wanted us to thin it out with water).

As always, if in doubt, call your doc's office and ask.

VSGSteve
on 4/24/13 7:41 am - NJ
VSG on 04/17/13

I was on a Liquid diet for 10 days post op. Jello, Muscle Milks, Water, Ect...  The Nutritionist told me yesterday a can of super blended chicken noodle soup was fine for me. The result of the soup from yesterday and the chili today went well. he chili was in liquid form....   Yes thicker then water , but still a liquid form... I ate the chili 3-4 hours ago and had no side effect and feel great..??????

emelar
on 4/24/13 7:45 am - TX

Well, if you NUT is ok with it and your tummy is okay with it, then it's ok.....but it's still not technically full liquid.  kiss

ParisGirl
on 4/24/13 9:09 am
VSG on 04/25/13

I'm more concerned that you ate a full cup.  Keep in mind that your nerve endings were severed and are still healing.  You're not really feeling restriction yet.  You might want to under eat your sleeve.  Just search "under eat sleeve" or for Frisco's posts for details.

Good luck!!!

Kelly-AnneH
on 4/24/13 9:21 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I wasn't allowed any form of meat, puréed or not, for my first month, but that's irrelevant. What matters is what's allowed on your plan. If your dietitian says it's fine for you it is - you don't need our permission.

I don't eat red meat at all, but my sis ate Wendy's chili once we were allowed meat and loved it. My equivalent would have been puréed and well thinned bean soup. (Which I certainly ate during my full fluids stage) Yum!

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

VSGSteve
on 4/24/13 9:35 am, edited 4/24/13 9:49 am - NJ
VSG on 04/17/13

I hear what you guys are saying... I just thought I possibly mad a judgment mistake here.  I feel fine 5-6 hours later. No issues... 

I hope I didn't damage anything? I blended the chili super duper fine. I went down like liquid.. Same feeling...

As far as eating the whole cup, I was about 5oz of liquid.. And I do get the full quickly.  I basically had the same sensation as drinking a 5-6 oz cup of hot tea. It felt no different.

Sasny
on 4/24/13 10:24 am
VSG on 03/20/12
Plans vary greatly. I was operated in by a top NYC surgeon at a bariactric center of excelkance and his plan had me eating puréed chicken before leaving the hospital - all I could eat was a very little bit. My first weeks out I are puréed egg salad, puréed cottage cheese and puréed Swedish meatballs. Many plans have people on liquids for weeks. So I would check with your team but if it was me I'd be fine with eating puréed chili.

VSGSteve
on 4/24/13 10:57 am - NJ
VSG on 04/17/13

Thanks SasNY...