Non-food cravings after VSG

buzybee7
on 5/5/13 3:35 am - Oak Park Heights, MN
VSG on 03/14/13

So I just wanted to touch base on this topic.  I'm 7 weeks post-op.  Since surgery I have been hit with multiple high stress situations all at once.  I noticed that instead of craving food I found myself wanting a cigarette (I quit smoking several years ago) and wanting to drink (I have never been a big drinker).  So this brought to my attention that this is where cross-addictions can happen.  I am happy to say that I acknowledged my weird cravings, but then had a little self talk about why I was having these cravings and then made up my mind to go to the gym and work through them, literally.  I can see where my relationship with food would have come in.  This is just a reminder for those who used to be emotional eaters.  We need to find an acceptable outlet to fulfill this craving.  I have actually sat down and made a list of things I can do when I get these feelings.  One of them is to come here or my other support group and tell people about it.  I know there are others that are dealing with the same thing.  This will help me stay accountable.  Identify, acknowledge and defeat these feelings!  Does anyone else have a plan of what to do when they get these feelings? 

~*~Shaunee~*~ 

Height: 5' 7"  Heaviest Weight: 330  Starting Weight: 306  Surgery Weight:  267  Goal Weight:  135

(deactivated member)
on 5/5/13 3:45 am

What an important post!  It sounds like you really understand what is going on with you and yes, cross-addiction is a very common thing.  What I have found that helps me, is to identify the feelings, work through them, and then do something else.  It is not enough to just recognize what is happening, you need a new way of dealing with it.  Something with verbs in it.  Going to the gym is perfect.  Sometimes I found that I am stressed because I am not willing to face a confrontation.  Sometimes I am stressed because I have been procrastination doing something unpleasant.  Sometimes I just need to go for a run.  You have this, and I can't tell you how happy I am for you that you got this from from the start. 

Mom_2_4
on 5/5/13 12:28 pm
VSG on 05/22/13

Thanks for this post!  I know I'm an emotional eater and I've been thinking a lot about how I will handle these things post-op.  I've been making a plan and trying to be conscientious about my current choices and how they translate to my post-op life.  I think I'm going to write them down as you suggest so I'm clear when that moment comes.  Great idea.

Elisa

HW: 254  SW: 238.2  CW:179.6 1st GW: ONEDERLAND 2nd GW: 150 GW: 135  Surgery: 5/22/13      

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 283 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 336 views