JUST STARTED OPTIFAST...NOW I WANNA RUN AWAY!

Kympiggie
on 5/14/13 1:45 am
VSG on 05/28/13

Well, I just finished my first optifast protein shake.  It tasted all right, but I'm sure I'll come to hate them by the end of these next two weeks!  The issue isn't with drinking the shakes; I will manage that.  I don't know how I'm going to manage the fear that is setting in.  My head tells me that I'm doing the right thing for my health, but my heart wants to jump out of my body to escape the whole thing.  I guess I just kind of put off the nervousness and fear, but I'm starting to feel like an animal being caged.  I just want to escape.  I know it's just the fear talking, but it's talking really loudly!!!!!!  Is this normal?  Has anyone else felt like this?

Kym

Nikke2003
on 5/14/13 1:48 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

It's normal to feel this way... I felt this way once my surgery was scheduled three weeks ago. I started the pre-op diet a week later and spent that entire two weeks keeping myself busy so that I didn't have to think too much about it. Now that surgery has come and past, it almost doesn't even feel real! Hang in there... it wasn't a bad experience.... in fact, they are letting me go home today. I wish you luck!!

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

Mom_2_4
on 5/14/13 1:53 am
VSG on 05/22/13

Congrat's on going home so soon, Nikke!

HW: 254  SW: 238.2  CW:179.6 1st GW: ONEDERLAND 2nd GW: 150 GW: 135  Surgery: 5/22/13      

Mom_2_4
on 5/14/13 1:52 am
VSG on 05/22/13

I feel your pain.  I'm on the Opti-fast right now as well and was wondering all sorts of crazy things.  I've posted several concerned posts and what I've come away with is that we're both NORMAL .  This is a big step and this pre-op makes it so real!  We have to focus on our health and all the reasons that got us here in the first place.  I'm sure you'll get more sound advice but what I'm doing is focusing on the issues that got me here and getting all the help I need to deal with them.

Elisa

HW: 254  SW: 238.2  CW:179.6 1st GW: ONEDERLAND 2nd GW: 150 GW: 135  Surgery: 5/22/13      

Melody2
on 5/14/13 2:18 am
VSG on 04/10/13

It's very normal to feel this way.  You're beginning a new journey.  As with any journey, you're anxious and nervous the first few days and then you begin to relax and thing, "Ok...I go this...I can do this."  Yes, the protein shakes will get old....fast.  Try different flavors and different brands to keep it interesting.  I could tolerate most, except for the Muscle Milk.  I simply could not move past the first sip.....I still have nightmares about that chemical banana tasting one.   But hey, everyone is different.  If everyone liked vanilla ice cream then Baskin Robbins would not exist. 

Hang in there.  You got this.

Kympiggie
on 5/14/13 2:58 am
VSG on 05/28/13

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond.  My initial panic is gone for now.  It's really nice to know that I'm 'normal' (matter of opinion....lol).  Thanks again!

Melody, your vanilla ice cream comment gave me a chuckle.  So true!  (I almost bought a case of Muscle Milk at Costco - I didn't because I figured if I didn't like it then I'd be stuck with a load of it.....)

Kym

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 158 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 430 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 449 views