Surgery Tomorrow...Any last minute tips???

missthingg
on 5/14/13 5:10 am - memphis, TN
Well tomorrow is the day. I still feel a little nervous. I'm on all liquids today and I'm hungry, but that sugar-free peach jello was EVERYTHING!! Do you all have any last minute tips about the hospital, eating after surgery, ANYTHING! LOLOL.
tigerbelle
on 5/14/13 5:45 am - LA
VSG on 05/06/13

I am not going to say not to be nervous, because it's normal to feel that way...I am 8 days out today and feeling pretty good...your mouth will be dry after surgery, and sucking on ice chips helped me a lot...also, I would bring some type of lip balm, because your lips do get dry as well...you will feel gas pains but walking as much as you can--even just around the room--helps...and use the pain meds as you need them--in other words, don't try to wait it out and be "brave"...my best advice is to take one day at a time...I wish you the best! make sure to come here often post-op with updates

HappyGigi
on 5/14/13 6:02 am - FL

Today is my one-week Post-op. I must say that the surgery was not near as bad as I anticipated. I was pleasantly surprised. I was up walking 2 hours after surgery and it felt good to stand up and move.

I got a little nausea after the "leak test" the next day......and it took an hour to get medication to help with that.....hopefully, your nurses will help out quickly if that is an issue for you.

The first day home taking sips of fluids was a slight concern for me. The sips tended to feel very heavy going through my stomach. I was worried that was how it might always feel! But as everyone tells you......everyday gets better and two days later everything went down very smoothly! Just part of the swelling and healing of the stomach.

One week out and I really can say that, other than one incision that has a undissolved stitch(per my doctor) and being a little tired, I really don't feel like I have had surgery! I'm so happy and very blessed.

I wish you the same easy experience tomorrow! Good Luck!

HW: 247  Pre-op: 225  SW: 216  CW: 174.8       GW: 145                 VSG: May 7, 2013

1 week Pre-op: -9    M1: -12     M2: -8    M3: -7  M4: -6    M5: -7  

JuucyOne
on 5/14/13 8:00 am - Chicago, IL
VSG on 02/04/13

I really wished I could have had Jello but my doctor was extremely strict! Like one person said, the surgery wasn't as bad as expected. After about a week, I felt nearly back to 100%. The worst part is the gas pains. The more you walk, the more you release so try your best at walking. Also, try not to be too scared to swallow afterwards. I found myself getting a little nervous about that and being a worry wart, but everything was totally fine. Just follow your doctors and it will be a breeze.

HW: 397 SW: 370 CW: 285

Cindy H.
on 5/14/13 10:17 am

I just want to wish you good luck tomorrow.

missthingg
on 5/14/13 1:02 pm - memphis, TN
Thanks Cindy. Thanks everybody. I'm so hungry. Time is going so slow. I forgot my chapstick at work(grrr). Anywho...almost time!
Tenacious88
on 5/14/13 1:31 pm - Fort Lauderdale, FL
VSG on 02/05/14

Hi: The best to you.

Godspeed.

"We as Losers need to have Bull Dog Tenacity to win the war against obesity"                  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 149 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 423 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 442 views