OT: What to ask in a tattoo parlor

ruggie
on 5/18/13 6:45 am - Sacramento, CA

I know a bunch of you guys have gotten tattoos - 

I always promised myself if I ever lost weight and kept it off, I'd get a tattoo.  Well, I just realized I've been weight-stable for about 14 months now... so I guess it's time.

What should I ask/look for when I evaluate a tattoo place?  Very naive.

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

Diana E.
on 5/18/13 7:01 am
VSG on 03/27/13

I live not too far from you... California Tattoo is awesome! 

With that said, I am going on Thursday to have mine removed, LOL!  Not that they did a bad job at all.. his work is impeccable.  I'm just a different person than I was when I got it.

HW- 318    SW- 310    CW- 194.4    GW- 170-ish  Onderland: 10/30/2013

nmrudge
on 5/18/13 7:07 am - IL
VSG on 12/10/12

I have three tattoos, all by the same guy.  I found him through a mutual client who is also my cousin.  Word-of-mouth is your best bet.  Find someone you trust who has had work done and ask them who did it.  If that doesn't work, you could always do an online search for artists in your area.  There are several things you should consider.  The obvious ones are: do they have a license and are they sterile.  The last thing you want is a bad tattoo that ends up getting infected. 

Once you find a reputable place, make an appointment and meet your artist.  Talk with them about what kind of piece you are considering.  Most artists will work with you and help design whatever you want.  I have found those types of pieces mean more than any stock piece you pick off their wall.   

Once you know what design you want, it's all about location.  Certain areas of the body hurt worse than others.  I have a piece on my back and wrist.  The wrist hurt worse.  The back wasn't had at all.

I hope this helps.  Remember, tattoos are forever.  For each one of mine, I decided to wait a year after deciding what I wanted.  If after a year, that design was still important to me, I went ahead and got it.  Other times I changed my mind.  Good luck!

Edit Delete

Rubielee
on 5/18/13 7:24 am - OR
VSG on 02/14/13

Hi Ruggie!!

So exciting..first tattoo!  I have 6 and 2 of them are major pieces.  Once I created/found the tattoo I wanted,  then I went looking for my tattoo artist.  Every tattooist has a different style and they won't all do the same type of work. If I went to some random he might not have as much experience in lets say an Art Nouveau type design.  So I found someone who was.  And some aren't as good at doing letters/words as others.  So, point being find what you would like to have tattooed and then find your artist who matched up with same art/design aesthetic.  Good luck & can't wait to see it!

tia47
on 5/18/13 7:33 am - cleve, OH

Hey there Ruggie...

Check out their portfolio...all good artists have one. it shows their work/styles/capabilities. I have a half sleeve n 19 total. They all mean so much. Next one by Ami or Kat...when im close to goal. Good luck n have fun!!! 

Bloodshotbetty
on 5/18/13 8:09 am - minneapolis, MN

What everyone else said!  I'm pretty covered- half sleeve, chest piece, other arm slowly coming together as a sleeve...  I have a really good relationship with my tattoo artist (she was a bridesmaid, actually!) which helps- I have no problem speaking up or asking her to change something in her design.

I think especially if you are only planning on one, think of a design, and sit on it for a while.  Make sure it's one that you want.  

When you walk into the shop, it should smell and look clean.  And if the tattoo artist is rude to you,LEAVE! You are the client and it is going on your skin forever.

Have fun!  

-Alycia-

slimpickins5280
on 5/18/13 8:15 am - CO

I wish I could watch. I have two.

They don't hurt at all if you are drunk enough.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

ruggie
on 5/18/13 8:16 am - Sacramento, CA

I thought they don't let you get a tattoo if you're sloshed?

Heaviest weight:  310 pounds  (Male, 5'10")

slimpickins5280
on 5/18/13 8:37 am - CO

20 years ago they did. Don't know about now.

Start small. You can always add more, but you can't take it away. I also agree with the poster who said to pick a design then sit on it for awhile. Make sure it's something you can live with for the rest of your life. Also, someone couldn't pay me to put a name on me--even my own children's names. I'm also opposed to dates of any kind. But, that's just me. A friend of mine has 4 kids and she had 4 flowers inked onto her ankle. Imo, that's the way to do it. Find something that can eptomize why you are getting the tattoo.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

cajunlady1958
on 5/18/13 8:31 am - Broussard, LA
Revision on 12/30/15
I just got my first tattoo. It took about 35 minutes and felt like a sunburn nothing more painful than that. I was worried about it hurting for nothing. Make sure that the tattoo place is registered with the board of health and that all of their supplies are fresh and just used once per person. I got my avatar the black and blue butterfly. By the way the symbol for wls is a butterfly!

You survived what you thought would kill you. Now straighten your crown and go forward like the Queen you are!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 81 views