OK, I know I look Thinner...

Lisas-Ltl-Sis
on 5/30/13 12:57 pm

I am hesitant to tell people.....2 friends have had WLS, and I feel so guilty for not sharing what I'm doing...but for now, while pre-op, I don't want to discuss this with anyone but my hubby and a trusted sibling.....

I took a peak at your pictures, and you look FABULOUS!  Keep up the good work!!!!  --Sis

Stacy_312
on 5/30/13 7:27 pm - College Station, TX

Hey girl!  I feel your pain.  I do!!  I work at the hospital so there are plenty of people who see me everyday and others who may only see me every few weeks or so.  I am almost 9 weeks out and only a few people have asked and its mostly because EVERYONE knows I have had the surgery.  At least 4 people that I work with have had the surgery and 2 of those are in maintenance and can I get a kind word from them???  Hell no!  Its like people dont register the weightloss and the baggy scrubs.  It makes me sad sometimes to think that people cant tell or how big did they actually think I was before??!?!?  I mean seriously!!!  I feel like as an overweight person, maybe I was invisible to them.  I did have this really cute DR comment on my new hair color the other day and he has walked by me MANY a nights and only said Hello in passing and this time he did a complete 180 just to turn around and tell me my hair color looked good on me!  Humph!  Sounds good to me I will take it.  Its weird my husband told me to expect reactions such as this about people not commenting on my weightloss, but I never thought people to be so cruel or unsupportive.  I'm like ya'll, is it jealousy?  intimidation?  I dont know.  My husband did bring up a good comment though....maybe people dont want to comment because they think we may be sick from something and dont want to bring up our weightloss if it was unintentional. 

I have heard people on here say that they were asked many times if they were sick or had cancer!!!  I mean so I can see how people may notice but dont wanna put their foot in their mouth.  So I just chunk it up to loco people!!!  :) 

Dawnie 88
on 5/30/13 11:15 pm

I started in a size 32 jeans...and 354 lbs.  It took me losing about 80 pounds before anyone said anything to me..

linzeelee
on 5/31/13 12:14 am - Omaha, NE
VSG on 05/17/13

Weight is a sensitive issue. Maybe they think you would be offended if they mentioned your weight? I dunno. You are doing a fantastic job, regardless!

Lindsay ~ 5'4" ~ HW (5/6/13): 280 ~ SW (5/17/13): 273 ~ CW: 140
Losses by month: pre-op: -8  M1: -18  M2: -12  M3: -13  M4: -9  M5: -10  M6: -12
  M7: -14  M8: -12  M9: -2  M10: -8  M11: -9  M12: -2  M13: -6  M14: -7

shess1025
on 6/1/13 2:09 pm - Novato, CA
Linzeelee is correct IMO. Why leave it to your friends to put their neck out to mention your weight? That's a minefield for people. You could be ill, for all they know. Why set yourself up as a victim? If you have decided to keep your VSG private, your behavior sets up theirs....if you don't want to talk about it....they won't feel they ought to bring it up, they will see how obvious your loss is but will feel you don't wish to discuss it maybe.

I've told plenty of friends and family....and they constantly ask me how much I've lost....you might not like that....I don't always but that's the price of my making it public. I just deal with it.

VSG on 3/13/13 with Dr. Gregg Jossart. HW: 364. SW: 287. GW: 150. CW: 190

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 140 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 408 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 435 views