stage one question

Christyb17
on 6/10/13 2:15 am - Long Beach, CA
VSG on 06/04/13
I have been sitting myself down and over the course of an hour drinking a premier protein drink. Then water throughout the day until its time for another premier protein. I managed to get all my protein in plus all my liquids Yesterday! I was so proud of myself. But... then I went to my handbook from my surgeon to look at something and saw they list drinking a protein drink throughout the day. They had malt o meal at 7.. 4oz protein shake at 8:30.. 2o yogurt at 10... etc. Now I'm concerned. Did I overdo it yesterday? I had no problems getting it in since the premier protein is very thin and goes down easy compared to other drinks.

VSG June 4, 2013

HW - 271.4     SW - 263     CW - 159

Sandy M.
on 6/10/13 2:25 am - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

Other than the lack of variety, I think you're fine.  You don't want to live on protein shakes forever, so try to incorporate the real food your surgeon suggests.  I eat 6 meals a day, and only one is a protein shake.

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

Calking
on 6/10/13 3:57 am
VSG on 05/31/12

You are doing great.  Yesterday was a win all around.  If you got your 8 cups of liquids and your roughly 80 grams of protein minimum, then you can't ask for anything more.  

Always remember this.  Your post op guidelines are there to suggest what you might try next and when your surgeon feels that it is OK and more importantly safe to start trying to reintroduce these things back into your things that you can eat.  Just because it is OK to and safe to eat these "new" (meaning new to post op lifestyle) doesn't mean you have to or need to.  

You are allowed to progress through these stages at your own pace.  If you are getting everything you need and are comfortable doing that at this point, then I would stay where you are comfortable for at least another week.  Then instead of all in one day switching to having a bunch of new items in your repertoire perhaps you add one or two new or different things.  

There was a previous post that also mentioned something that was very spot on.  You cannot live the rest of your life on three protein shakes per day.  I know that you realize this.  Eventually you will not necessarily get rid of all protein shakes but have the goal where there is only one per day.  I am one year post op and start every morning with a protein shake.  This is my plan for the rest of my life.  My surgeon says that is completely acceptable and many of his patients choose to do exactly that.  That is my choice and I really like my protein shakes.  Once you are in maintenance and not weight loss these shakes can get quite tasty when you add bananas or strawberries or other fruits to flavor them.  Not to mention that you are adding fruits into your diet at this point.  I hate using the word diet because it really isn't a diet as much as it is a lifestyle of eating healthier choices.

You are only about 6 days post op.  At this point I was just starting my full liquid diet and it wouldn't be for another 4 or 5 days that I would start my pureed food stage.  I am suggesting to you that you were proud of yourself yesterday as you made your daily goals.  Let yourself have some more days to be proud of and then within the next week perhaps add in something new such as a yogurt or your malt o meal.  

I am very big on saying that this journey gives all of us a great excuse to practice patience.  I would say to you to relax and not worry about getting behind on the post op timeline (just don't try jumping ahead too soon).  Just take it at your own pace and enjoy victories such as you had yesterday.  

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

Christyb17
on 6/10/13 4:42 am - Long Beach, CA
VSG on 06/04/13
Got it! I don't start purees for another 15 days! But my Dr includes cream of wheat liquidity (1/4 cup prepared as directed plus an extra 1/4 cup of milk). I have been doing that for breakfast and then two protein shakes. One for dinner and one for lunch. I met my goals on just that yesterday (added unflavored protein to the cream of wheat). Today since I ran out of the unflavored protein I plan to have some yogurt as well to get me to my protein goals. Thank you for your advice and experience! !

VSG June 4, 2013

HW - 271.4     SW - 263     CW - 159

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 314 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views