Confused about this pre-op diet

smittyjen
on 6/17/13 8:15 am
VSG on 10/30/13
So, have decided to go ahead and purse the sleeve..yay! I've been reading over the manual they gave me and I'm a little confused about the pre-op diet. It's a 7 day low fat, low sugar and LOW PROTEIN liquid diet....the page says that I'll only be consuming 20 grams of protein a day in the form of a shake, milk or yogurt...could I be reading this wrong bc I really don't understand the low protein part...I thought generally pre-op diets were suppose to be high in protein???
Kathy-cny
on 6/17/13 12:24 pm - NY
VSG on 06/25/13

I am looking at my nut packet right now and mine says 3 protein shakes a day with between 15-25 gms of protein each serving.....I will be using Unjury w 20 gms per serving..with 1 meal a day of 3-4 ounces lean protein with 1/2 cup fruit, 6 ounces light yogurt/dairy, 2 cups salad w light dressing or cooked veggies...better call your nut in the am to clarify

Kathy     HW-393/Surgery weight-368/ weight post op 374 /current weight 292.5

smittyjen
on 6/18/13 3:32 am
VSG on 10/30/13
Will definitely be calling! I have no problem being on a liquid diet, just curious about the LOW protein!
Thanks for your response! 😊
Grace J.
on 6/17/13 10:34 pm - Springfield, MO

I think you need to go back to your doctor, nutritionist if they have one, and ask him/her any of your questions.  Over the years, I have found that all the doctors do the pre-op diet differently...they are just wanting to reduce your liver size so they can work unencumbered on your stomach.

Welcome to the family - the VSG is awesome!enlightened

smittyjen
on 6/18/13 3:30 am
VSG on 10/30/13
Oh yes, I'll definitely be inquiring about this as it just appears to be way too little protein to me...I'm hoping I'm just reading it wrong 😊
Thanks for the response! 😄
AmberL
on 6/18/13 10:47 am

My pre-op diet was low protein too.  They didn't call it low protien, but all I was having was Carnation Instant Breakfast Sugar free mixed with water, and broth, and SF jello and popsicles.  I thought it was odd too, I thought I should be having some protein shakes or something to increase my protein before surgery, but maybe my doctor thought that would affect shrinking the liver or something?

smittyjen
on 6/18/13 10:52 am
VSG on 10/30/13

Interesting....well, it obviously worked for you...awesome job on your weight loss!!! I will follow the rules of course...just seemed odd to me.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 277 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views