I am 5 weeks Post Op and my Hair is thicker and healthier....Why?

RPick67
on 7/17/13 12:09 pm
VSG on 06/11/13

My hair over the past year has turned into like an old persons hair.  Thin, Wispy,  Since surgery 5 weeks ago it seems to be thickening up and getting stronger.  I'm 45 years old and wondering if anyone knows what is helping it post-op.  My Type 2 Diabetes is gone so I no longer am on meds for that and of course I'm taking in 70 grams of protein a day but I'm pretty sure I got alot more than that pre-op.....granted it was probably not high quality protein, but protein nevertheless.  Just wondering if anyone had an idea about why my hair doesn't look like a 77 year old womans anymore???

Cons. Wt. 394       Surg. Wt. 386        Curr. Wt.  311

Debra M.
on 7/17/13 1:35 pm - TX
VSG on 03/26/13
Congrats! That is great news. It could any number of things. Your higher protein, added vitamins, fewer meds, better eating habits. Whatever it is, it is working for you. Keep smiling.

babybird555
on 7/17/13 8:17 pm
VSG on 05/14/13

I totally agree with Debra....its probably your vitamins and getting in all your protein...i have read that if your hair is going to thin, it probably wont start until your around 4 months post op.  I am 8 weeks out and i am keeping a look out...but i havent noticed any hair coming out yet...  I am glad  your hair is getting stronger and healthier.  Lets keep our fingers crossed that we dont experience thinner hair.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 7/17/13 8:26 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

Ooooh someone even luckier than I am!!!! I didn't lose any hair but it did not improve in quality post op. It just stayed the same. You are very lucky my dear!! Thank your lucky stars!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

charmedaz
on 7/17/13 11:48 pm

i have lots of hair, thick, i was anticpating that even if i did thin out in a few months it would not be so hard on me as it would others not blessed with so much hair...regardless...im taking the biotin supplement dr. joyas nutritionist has on the list of vitamins to take .....maybe look into some of that? or when you can eat regular foods choose some of those (i dont have the list in front of me that she provided of the foods..but fish and such are good for hair...things with zinc...etc)

so maybe you have this in your diet and thus not dropping your hair? or just lucky :P

i think im really worried ill start shedding in a few months.. i dont know what id do, cutting it short is not an option for me, ive been growing my hair a longgg longgg time lol....itd be a tough pill to swallow if i had to do that so, supplements it is! 

Dr. Joya:    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/officialdrjoya

Twitter: https://twitter.com/drjoyadotcom

RPick67
on 7/18/13 4:35 am
VSG on 06/11/13

Hopefully now that it is getting healthier it will stay attached to my head.  I've got a few months before I worry about that.  Thanks for all the responses!!

Cons. Wt. 394       Surg. Wt. 386        Curr. Wt.  311

Tracy D.
on 7/17/13 12:23 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13
Because you are lucky, my dear...and I am jealous! LOL

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 258 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 324 views