I am so shaky lately

defygravity
on 7/20/13 4:02 am - NE
VSG on 07/10/13

It's driving me crazy. I'm 10 days postop and am on full liquids with some cheese, cottage cheese and deli meats thrown in.  I'm getting in my liquids and my proteins are at least 60 a day, yesterday closer to 80.  Carbs are low, under 20 mostly.  Calorie intake is pretty low right now... less than 500.  My MFP is colleengt if anyone cares to look.

Why am I so shaky?  I feel like I'm zipping on caffeine, without the caffeine.  It's usually the worst midday but sometimes all day.  It's been going on the last 3-4 days.  Any thoughts?

~ Colleen                                       Instagram

"It is our choices... far more than our abilities that determine who we are."         

HW 232; SW 223; 1stGW 199;  2ndGW 170  

Calking
on 7/20/13 4:30 am
VSG on 05/31/12

Part of what you are experiencing in my opinion is the fact that your energy comes from calories.  Low calories means low energy.  Now obviously what happens is once the calories are burned from your intake then it starts burning fat and gives you energy but I am thinking that there is a difference.  It's almost as if getting energy from daily calories is a better quality of energy but again I have no medical or scientific basis for that ... it just seems to be what I have noticed from my own experience.

Also watch your blood pressure.  As you loose weight your blood pressure can drop as well.  If you are on blood pressure medications you may need to reduce the dosage (only on the advice of your doctor) or eliminate them (again only on the advice of your doctor).  

Another thought is blood sugar.  Again if you are taking diabetes meds you may need to reduce or stop those and as mentioned before on the advice of your doctor .  Even if you are not diabetic your blood sugar levels can get low especially with your below 20 grams carbs per day.  By the way most people usually use 40 grams of carbs or less as their daily limits. So you could bump those up to help with energy levels.

Vitamin B12 is supposed to help with energy levels ... are you taking any B12 supplements?  If not I would start that.  Just as there are two types of calcium that we talk about ... calcium citrate being better than calcium carbonate.  There are two versions of B12 methylcobalamin and cyanocobalamin.  It turns out that the methylcobalamin is the better of the two.  So if you are currently getting B12 in the form of cyamocobalamin you should try switching those.

It could be any one or a combination of these things.  

Isn’t it a bit unnerving that doctors call what they do their “practice”?  -  George Carlin             

Sandy M.
on 7/20/13 5:23 am - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

For me it was my blood pressure about 3 weeks out that caused dizziness and shakiness.  Most drug stores have free blood pressure readings - if you're close to one you might want to check it out!  I settled down after a couple of days, with a new "normal" blood pressure of about 110/70.

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

lil1inside
on 7/20/13 6:21 am
VSG on 07/10/13

Yes and don't forget the regular B vitamin we need for 6 months (I only mention that because I haven't picked up that one yet).  I experience a little of this, but it's not too bad for me now. Keep tredgin on to skininess!!!!

Started at (266 lbs)          Pre-op (249) 7/10/13             Present (173) 03/19/14
No star is lost once we have seen, We always may be what we might have been.
Adelaide Proctor

happyteacher
on 7/20/13 6:57 am

Your carbs may be too low.  Does the shakiness go away for a litle while after you have had a little carb or eat something?  Are you getting enough fluids (your urine is not yellow)?

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

linzeelee
on 7/20/13 9:44 am - Omaha, NE
VSG on 05/17/13

Sorry you're feeling shaky. My initial thoughts would be low blood pressure or low blood sugar. I'd call your surgeon. Another thing I'd recommend trying is having some Powerade Zero or adding some Propel water additive to your water (found with the Crystal Light, etc.). I had a couple shaky days somewhere between 10 days and 2 weeks out, and that was my doctor's suggestion. Propel worked like a charm. Not knowing your medical history, I'd say it's a good idea to check with your doctor. Good luck!

Lindsay ~ 5'4" ~ HW (5/6/13): 280 ~ SW (5/17/13): 273 ~ CW: 140
Losses by month: pre-op: -8  M1: -18  M2: -12  M3: -13  M4: -9  M5: -10  M6: -12
  M7: -14  M8: -12  M9: -2  M10: -8  M11: -9  M12: -2  M13: -6  M14: -7

JMack
on 7/20/13 9:47 am - UT

How's your heart rate.  Is it racing too?  Are you getting your fluids in?  Dehydration hits me hard with shakiness and racing heart.  How about pain killers? Still on them?  Just a couple of thoughts to add to the above thoughts.  Good luck.

Jen

pineview01
on 7/20/13 9:49 am - Davison, MI

I went thru that for a couple months.  At one point I stopped BP meds and found out my pressure was to low with them.  I still would get shaky.  How much liquid are you getting.  I upped mine way up from the 64 min.

Part of it I think is just what we all go thru.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Kelly-AnneH
on 7/20/13 9:58 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
Getting in your minimum of 64 ounces of fluid is important, but what's in the fluid counts too.

Looking at what you're eating I see no potassium at all. Try getting a packet of hydration salts to mix up or electrolyte solution (Gaterade, etc) and see if that helps.

Electrolyte solution is also dead easy to make at home - I keep a jug of it in my fridge all the time now. With all 3 of us sleeved we keep after each other about hydration.

Electrolyte solution
2 litres (quarts) water
1 tsp table salt (you can skip this if you're getting enough salt in other ways)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt substitute (potassium chloride, No-Salt is one brand)
Packet of crystal light or other drink mix that makes 2 litres (quarts) or 4 single serving packets

Dump drink mix, baking soda and no-salt into container. Add some of the water, give foam a chance to subside. Add the rest of the water and mix. Store in fridge.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 56 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 56 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 226 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 303 views