Surviving Opti : Tips and Recipes, (Day 17)

DanaStClair
on 8/10/13 9:08 am - Canada
VSG on 08/15/13

Hello OH friends,

So I am on day 17 of my OPTI liquid diet, and I have to say, it has been great. I've lost 14 pounds and I feel better than I have in years. I know a lot of people struggle with this phase... and I do understand, but I don't think anyone needs to cheat if they just get a little creative. I have made a video where I compile all the tips, tricks and recipes I have used over these past 17 days. http://youtu.be/5yEG3PtPDBM

As always, leave a comment here or there and I will reply. The liquid diet phase is like this journey, only as difficult as you make it! Positivity, positivity, positivity... mind over matter!

I hope you are all enjoying a lovely weekend,

Dana

Positivity, Positivity, Positivity + Protein, lots of protein ;)

Curves-r-us
on 8/10/13 10:40 am
Thanks for the great info, dana. I'm not there yet but i am taking notes on facilitating the pre-op diet phase.
I have a sneaking suspicion that you're going to rock this weight loss business with such a great attitude!
DanaStClair
on 8/10/13 9:35 pm - Canada
VSG on 08/15/13

Aw thank you so much, that is very sweet of you to say :)

The very fact that you are on this board and doing pre-op research is a great sign in itself. I am no vet or anything yet, but if you ever have questions about the pre-op diet, I would be happy to answer !

Best of luck

abbyluwho
on 8/10/13 11:26 am - kc, MO
VSG on 06/25/13 with

I did a 2 week opti-fast pre-op.  I abhor strawberry with a passion, so vanilla and chocolate were my options.  The vanilla alone was so sickeningly sweet, I threw up.  The chocolate was ok, as long as I put it in a lidded cup and chugged it.  One day I had an ah-ha moment, and mixed the 2 together.  That worked out perfectly.  

I couldn't handle the bars, they were like sawdust in my mouth, so I traded those in for more drinks.  I'm allergic to tomatoes, so the chicken soup was my only option, and I have to say, that was some delicious soup, imo.  I personally think it would be great as a gravy :).  A few times, I felt like I just couldn't put one more smooth spoon full of soup in me, so I cut up 3-4 mushrooms and added in.  

With the exception of those mushrooms, the only time I cheated, was my husbands 40th birthday which fell 6 days before surgery.  I told him we could eat anywhere that did breakfast all day.  I ordered 1 egg and water! 

DanaStClair
on 8/10/13 9:39 pm - Canada
VSG on 08/15/13

Hi Abby!

I have heard a few people say that if they mixed the two shakes together it was much better. We don't have the option of the strawberry shakes in Ontario on my surgeon's plan. We also weren't allowed the bars nor the soups, my experience is really only as far as the chocolate and vanilla drinks lol

What didn't you like about the bars? And the funny thing, was I never tolerated eggs well before, but the thought of just one egg scrambled with salsa post-op sounds delicious!

justpete
on 8/10/13 10:08 pm
VSG on 04/02/13

i caught your video yesterday.  you are the optifast master!

HW: 407   Final Appointment : 376   Pre-op Diet Start: 367   SW: 350 (Apr2/2013) Add me on MFP

DanaStClair
on 8/10/13 10:11 pm - Canada
VSG on 08/15/13

haha, thanks Pete! Hopefully I can keep it up the whole way through the journey and kick butt just like you :)

The_True_KayD
on 8/11/13 12:49 am

Dana,

I watched your video along with the one where you were discussing how people are being treated differently. What I loved about your tip video is that you took some challenges and figured out solutions! I am just starting this process. Reading all the tips  and ideas are worth millions! Working with with the water flavorings and syrups is a great idea! LOVE IT! 

Sorry for the tangent by your video on being treated different struck me.  I have experienced both sides of treatment. I had lost alot of weight 15 years ago. I was treated very differently. People respected boundaries.People were polite. As I gained back the weight, i have had doors shut in my face, treated like i was less intelligent, or that comments about my meal was up to their opinion. Lets not forget people making comments such as "Beached Whale" or being asked how much I weighed now. All those hurt time and time again. Fake niceness. If you didn't like me when i was overweight then why would  I like you because you now approve of my weight!  I will always be cordial to those kind of people because I do have self respect for myself and treating people badly means that I dont respect myself! . 

I have decided that my weight loss journey is a precious gift and I will share that with people who will treat it with respect. 

It is topics like this that make me SO GRATEFUL for this site. We can find the means and support to create a momentum for success. We are never lonely! 

DanaStClair
on 8/11/13 7:04 am - Canada
VSG on 08/15/13

KayD,

Thank you so much for your message. It always nice to know that A) people are taking something away from my videos and that b) I am not alone in this journey.

I am so sorry that you have been spoken to / treated in that way. No one deserves that. I had toyed with the idea of writing a book about being treated different pre and post op. I would interview 15 people pre-op and document their struggles and encounters and judgements from others in the months and years leading up to surgery, and then follow them on their journey (interviewing them a few times a year over two years) to see how they are being treated differently and how it is affecting their day-to-day. I am just not sure there would be a market for that sort of book... who knows, something to think about for sure!

I plan to post videos all the way through my dairy, pureed, soft and forever food stages, maybe even tape a few 15 min best meal cooking videos... we shall see!

Best of luck to you :)

The_True_KayD
on 8/11/13 9:32 am

Dana,

I appreciate your empathy. I think it would be great to write a book. I would be willing to be one of those to help you out. I am a 50+ woman. Having different ages would be interesting to see if the behaviors and views are changing. 

I am having surgery because my weight continues to go up and starting to have obesity related issues. I want to get it under control now. No need to wait any longer! I have great support from friends and family.  I want to be healthy and strong! 

I am working on myself right now and focus on collecting solutions to potential challenges in advance. Knowledge is power. I like how you think. Experience a problem and identify a solution.  

All our journeys are different and we can learn from each other. The first thing is that I AM NOT ALONE!

Keep up the good work! 

with Gratitude and hugs

KayD

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 132 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 391 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 422 views