36F or 40F????

beagal70
on 8/15/13 11:20 am - TX
VSG on 08/06/13 with

I have seen people post about having 36F sleeves or 40F sleeves, I can infer that it is the size of the sleeve but I guess I would like to know how you know what size you got or what the range is?

themexcellentone
on 8/15/13 11:44 am
VSG on 07/08/13 with

I asked for the operation notes at my 2 week follow up.  When I read the report, it stated what bougie my surgeon used on me (32F).  So he made mine the smallest he makes them.  He told me at my consult that he uses anywhere from a 32-36 and that what he ultimately uses is determined by the anatomy of the patient and other factors (maybe how much the person has to lose).  I have great restriction with what he gave me!

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

Jackie T.
on 8/15/13 11:58 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

There have been some good threads started on "bougie size" .  You might search and see some past discussions. I have a 40F and I only know that because I asked the day of surgery.  The bougie size is not that much different, it depends on the surgeons technique when they close.  Not all, but some people with a small bougie have more complications than those with a higher bougie size.

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

(deactivated member)
on 8/15/13 1:26 pm

Dr. Marquez uses a 36F. She did my sleeve on 8/8 and I asked her this question at my pre-op appointment.

beagal70
on 8/16/13 5:46 am - TX
VSG on 08/06/13 with

Thanks for the info, I have been doing great and hope you are too.

mickeymantle
on 8/15/13 3:52 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

mine is a loose 34f which is about the size of a tight 36f, I have no problem eating 3-4 oz of turkey, meatballs, tuna , Tilapia

I am at 3 weeks and my plan has all food at 2 weeks < starting with softer stuff (tuna, chicken salad,eggs>

i finish an 11 oz shake in 1/2 hour ,no pain now no nausea, my surgeon does not like to go smaller because there is a greater chance of problems, with less than 34f

by the way his largest sleeve pateint was over 900 lb and lost most of his extra weight  

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Deckeriv
on 8/15/13 8:45 pm - TX
VSG on 03/26/13

Personally, I think bougie size doesn't matter as much as the length of your stomach and how tightly the surgeon sews to the guide. I realize an extra ounce of capacity some might say makes a BIG difference, but when we go from 64 ounces of capacity to 4 or 5 ounces ounces...does one ounce really make all that much difference?

From a practical standpoint one extra ounce might mean an extra month to lose that last 4 pounds, but rest assured you will lose weight dramatically in the first six months no matter the size of the guide. My opinion anyway.

800 calories and less than 20 net carbs is the shizzle

Mr-Smith
on 8/16/13 1:05 am - Hillsdale, MI

Agreed, things like not sticking to the diet (protein first...) and not exercising has a far more impact on overall success than the 1 or 2 oz variations in size due to the instrument used to measure for the sleeve.

As a side note, my surgeon used an endoscope as a measure so he could evaluate both the inside and outside of my stomach before making any cuts.  I'm glad he did. I've never had any of the side effects others report, just a tinny tummy!

emelar
on 8/16/13 6:05 am - TX

The references you see to 36F or 40F sleeves refers to a French bougie,  the tube-like guide that many surgeons use to shape the stomach as they staple and cut.  The ranges I've seen run from 28F to 44F.  The most common range seems to be 32F-36F.  Whatever size the surgeon uses, it also matters how tight the stomach is pulled around the bougie and how far down and up the surgeon continues the staple line.

More important that bougie size, ask your surgeon what you can expect your capacity will be after your tummy has healed.  Some surgeons make the stomach as small as possible, some prefer larger.

As has been said, stomach size/restriction is just one element of this game.  A much bigger part is what you put in it!

jakebsmommy
on 8/17/13 6:44 am - Waldorf, MD
VSG on 04/29/13
Mine is a 32f my original was a 40f but was done incorrectly! Now I have great restriction!
      Cheri  
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 145 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 418 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 439 views