Anyone travel 2 weeks out?

cheryls222
on 8/23/13 3:50 am, edited 8/23/13 3:50 am - Bothell, WA
VSG on 09/12/13

Is this doable?  I will be sitting in the car for about 5 hours each way.  Then some walking and sitting when I get there.

Starting W: 320  Surgery W (9/12/13): 279.8.

Tanya64
on 8/23/13 3:55 am
VSG on 07/25/13

Cheryl I traveled the 2nd week after my surgery (actually it was day 8 so really not a full 2 weeks yet) and while I was able to physically do it, I felt so tired and washed out and just really wished I wouldn't have.  If you do decide to travel, make sure you are stopping at least every 2 hours and walking around to prevent any blood clots!  Drink your fluids!

Tanya

Tanya

cheryls222
on 8/23/13 3:58 am - Bothell, WA
VSG on 09/12/13

The voice of reality!

I know it's probably not a good idea.  My friends are all headed off to a horse show and I am off work.  I thought just maybe I could go and cheer them on.

claimmaster
on 8/23/13 5:52 am - OK
VSG on 07/05/13

I flew home from Mexico 2 days after surgery.  That was 8 hours of travel.  I did just fine.

Jane

Starting weight: 320       Goal weight: 145      Surgery Weight: 298      Current weight: 215         Check out my blog at www.thebariatricvegan.com

Weight loss month 1-22  2-13  3-12  4-16  5-4  6-0  7-7  8-6

MuttLover
on 8/23/13 5:53 am
VSG on 11/14/12

I traveled 6 days after surgery -- 7 hour drive from Baltimore to NC -- I was a passenger, and it was over Thanksgiving.  So we wanted to visit the kid.  I felt fine -- but I tired out quickly.  Keep in mind I was with a hiking king of crowd.  So this was my approach:

1. BEG the doctor and promise to be 100% compliant on getting out of the car EVERY HOUR on the trip to walk -- this is HUGELY important because you are still at risk for blood clots.  So whomever is driving must commit to stopping every hour. on every part of the entired trip.  If that is not possible, then that's your answer!

2. Download the app to your phone showing the nearest hospital to where you are.  Also, find out in advance where all the hospitals are along your route and which ones have bariatric programs.  If you have an emergency, you need to know immediately what your options are.

3. Make a specific plan for what you'll do at the events. If you are just sitting the whole time - you should be fine, as long you get up every hour.  However, where will you be sitting?  It is going to be a comfortable type of seat that you can get in and out of easily?  It was easy for me -- I would walk around a little, then go back to the car.  Comfy seat, reclines, had my pillow and blankey, etc.  If you are in stadium seating, you might not be that comfy, unless you can go back to the car periodically to nap.

4. Eating out -- I was on full liquids most of the time.  I took unflavored protein powder to mix in soups in restaurants for lunch and dinner.  I had super thinned out oatmeal with protein powder or greek yogurt for breakfast.  Greek yogurt and protein shakes for other meals.  When I progressed to mushy food -- still kept with soups, or squished up eggs, a little mashed potato, etc.  Still easy.  My kid is a vegetarian, so everywhere we ate had some type of soup or squishy food.  Or you can drink tea or water at restaurants and have a protein shake or greek yogurt when you get back (but that felt like too much deprivation for a vacation to me!  But it might work for you!).

5. Since it was Thanksgiving, I even helped cook.  Again, no problem. I bought somethings for me, and squished up everything else into a puree or thinned it out to liquid. 

That worked for me.  I was tired and a little foggy -- so I just made sure I had a plan for myself that worked within the larger visit.  I had no problems, and had a lot more fun than I would have sitting at home!

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

cheryls222
on 8/23/13 7:35 am - Bothell, WA
VSG on 09/12/13

Wow,  after reading that, I clearly was not thinking this through.  THANK YOU for "drawing" me a picture.   That made it very clear that I need to stay home and take care of myself!!!

There will be plenty of time in the future to cheer and my friends. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 164 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 440 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 460 views