Do Food Smells Make You Hungry (Post-Surgery)?

Nancat66
on 8/30/13 1:24 pm - TX
I am 11 weeks post-op. I have tried some of everything. But nothing makes me sick but I eat way too much (head hunger). I lost but now I am gaining!!!
Wow does surgery not work or everyone???
mkvand
on 8/30/13 10:02 pm
VSG on 01/06/14 with

The surgery is a tool to help you lose weight.  In order to be successful, you have to use the tool according to the rules.  Plans vary, but at 11 weeks out, most plans will have you eating under 800 calories, at least 70 grams of protein, and at least 64 ounces of water daily, and the water can't be within 30 minutes before or after eating.  In order to meet these goals, you need to track everything you eat and drink.  It concerns me that you've tried some of everything at such an early stage.  At this point, you should be eating a couple ounces of protein and maybe a few bites of veggies per meal, and that's it.

You say you are eating too much due to head hunger.  What is triggering it?  Did you have a pre-op psych eval?  Do you have strategies laid out to find other ways of dealing with your emotions?  WLS only works on your stomach, not your head.  You have to deal with that separately.

Nancat66
on 8/31/13 8:13 am - TX
Yes I know a tool. But thought I could not fit more than 4 ounces in it. I am having a hard time with not eating and drinking t the same time. Guess I need more information on the post op diet. My surgeon retired the week after my surgery. I really don't have anyone to ask.
jenlaur1
on 8/31/13 11:40 am - Westborough, MA
VSG on 08/19/13

your surgeon may have retired but surely there is still a weight loss center as part of where he practiced?  There should still be other surgeons?  Psychiatrists/nutritionists?  From what I've gathered from my own post op diet stages and from what others here have said...dense protein is very important to eat first...the drinking part is a hard habit to break but one you must do.  the reward is losing your excess weight, smaller clothes, etc.  Good luck..hope you can regroup and get that sleeve working for you. :)

Highest Wt: 264, band May '05, pre sleeve wt 235, current 189, personal goal 140

mkvand
on 8/31/13 7:06 pm
VSG on 01/06/14 with

When you eat and drink at the same time, the liquid flushes the food out of your stomach quickly.  It's not that you're holding over 4 oz in your stomach, it's that the 4 oz is passing through your stomach rapidly.  Breaking the habit of eating and drinking together is hard, but it will really help with your weight loss.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 8/31/13 8:23 am
VSG on 10/09/12

Not real hunger but memory and head hunger yes. We were conditionned for so many years...like Pavlov's dogs. Ring a bell and we will become hungry. But its not true hunger. I am almost 11 months post op and yesterday had to be fasting for an ultrasound which was at 2:30 pm and I didn't eat til about 4 and I was absolutely fine and not at all physically hungry but sure as heck wanted to eat! Its really quite weird and difficult to explain that you don't feel physically hungry but hungry nevertheless....

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

linzeelee
on 8/31/13 3:56 pm - Omaha, NE
VSG on 05/17/13
The first month or so I was very sensitive to smells...some just make me feel sick. But now sometimes, yes, food smells make me want to eat. Smell is tied so closely with memory. And sometimes food smells even make me hungry. I didn't lose my sense of physical hunger, though it's not as intense as it used to be.

Lindsay ~ 5'4" ~ HW (5/6/13): 280 ~ SW (5/17/13): 273 ~ CW: 140
Losses by month: pre-op: -8  M1: -18  M2: -12  M3: -13  M4: -9  M5: -10  M6: -12
  M7: -14  M8: -12  M9: -2  M10: -8  M11: -9  M12: -2  M13: -6  M14: -7

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 127 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 363 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 407 views