Do Food Smells Make You Hungry (Post-Surgery)?

hope123
on 8/30/13 7:01 am - MO

I realize any of the surgical weight loss procedures are supposed to help make us less hungry (although I know it's not completely fail safe).  But what I'm wondering is after you've had the surgery, does the wonderful smell of food, (that can normally make a person who hasn't had surgery hungry), can it make a person who has gone through the surgery hungry?  I've heard people say that sometimes they forget to eat.  But I wonder if at some point the sense of smell takes over and changes our non-hunger issues?  Like the wonderful smells in the home on Thanksgiving Day, or driving or walking by restaurants and the smell of sizzling steaks, or baked bread, etc...does it eventually take over and make us hungry?  Kind of like when a person loses one sense or feeling, but another sense takes over and grows stronger?  That's one thing I worry about.  Hopefully it's not something to worry about.  Thanks

grayC
on 8/30/13 7:14 am
VSG on 05/01/13
To be perfectly honest with you..3 days out from surgery, my hubby brought in pizza for himself and the kids...I almost burst into tears from that heavenly smell, and after they finished and went away, I stuck my head in the box and took a big whiff...that being said..it was all sense memory for me, not true hunger..the smell triggered an emotion not because I wanted it, but because I always had it and I was overly emotional b/c of my hormones being crazy from the surgery..I have to honestly say..am I hungry at times...yes..if its not time to eat..I drink some water..but I don't get hungry from smelling something no...
Hope this helps...

Maria712
on 8/30/13 7:16 am - PA
VSG on 03/14/13
I am almost at 6 months. Sometimes the smell of food does especially during pms and at other times not at all. In the beginning the first couple months no interest at all.
VSG on 06/12/13
Things still smell good, sure, but the change I see is that I don't feel like I need to eat them.

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

jenlaur1
on 8/30/13 8:34 am - Westborough, MA
VSG on 08/19/13

I'm almost two weeks post op and TRUST me...the smell of food drives me nuts!! lol  I think I'd be pulling my hair out if I couldn't chew something..but yesterday I was told I can have cottage cheese and yogurt. But, it's early yet..so I'm hoping that with time and the ability to start to chew food and then progress to all the food groups..it won't be as overwhelming as it tries to be now.  Worry is my middle name..so when I say this I so know how it's easier said than done..but try not to worry so much about what's down the road and take your days one step at a time. :)

Highest Wt: 264, band May '05, pre sleeve wt 235, current 189, personal goal 140

Smcquithy
on 8/30/13 8:54 am

I am 6 weeks post op. I have had a few times when smelling some foods made me think I would like some. I fixed brownies for the family the other night and it smelled wonderful, but I didn't really want any. My other smell weakness is bread or soft pretzels. I keep telling myself it is just a head thing and not a hunger thing. 

Stephanie

Bufflehead
on 8/30/13 9:01 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

I'm 10 weeks or so out, and things will probably change, but since surgery the smell of virtually all food has made me queasy, unless it's something I'm fixing for myself to eat. Even then the smell doesn't make me hungry, it just isn't gross like other food is.

mmmesser
on 8/30/13 9:32 am

Almost 4 weeks post-op here.  Probably the first couple of weeks I wasn't phased by smells but I did enjoy watching people eat and going grocery shopping.  Not that I wanted anything I couldn't eat...I just had different ways in which to enjoy food.  I don't know why this was and still is but it is.  I do have to be careful of watching television shows or commercials with food.  I think at some point in the future when I can have more range of what I can experience I will enjoy this too but for now b/c of my limited choices that's too much.  In the last couple of weeks, I have just completely enjoyed the smell of deliciousness.  This smell is mostly due to the seasoning put on the fish that my partner cooks or the smell of onions cooking and vegetables so, I know eventually I will be able to eat on these things so I just thoroughly enjoy the smell of them for now.  It has really made me appreciate smell and sight and other activities with food besides consuming it.

Nancybefree
on 8/30/13 10:10 am
VSG on 11/21/12

It doesn't make me hungry for that food, but rather it knee-jerks my memories of eating the food I'm smelling.  It hasn't translated into a longing for any particular food thus far for me.   My sleeve is working so well that I can cook and/or serve former trigger foods without much temptation to put them into my mouth postop.  I can't begin to describe what a fantastic thing that is!

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

Tnull
on 8/30/13 10:21 am

Smells trigger head hunger for me.  I am 6 months out, and I still don't have true hunger.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 68 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 253 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 321 views