The irony of it all

Diana E.
on 9/8/13 3:02 pm
VSG on 03/27/13
I am down just shy of 105lbs., I'm within striking zone of onderland...........and I feel like I'm 90. My joints are on a full on war against me. I don't have insurance right now and it just sucks.

I have Osteoarthritis in my knee. It's so bad, I've been told it needs to be replaced, but no Dr is willing to do it because I'm only 38. Not that it really matters right now since I don't have insurance. I have to use a walker when I first get out of bed because I can't handle the pain of standing. By the time I'm done with my shower I've limbered up enough to use a cane. Seriously. ..I'm 38 and using a cane to get around. To top it all off, I threw my back out 10 days ago.

I'm a freaking mess and there's not a damn thing I can do about it because I don't have insurance.

I thought I would be feeling spectacular at this point.

Sorry. ..that's my pity party of the day.

HW- 318    SW- 310    CW- 194.4    GW- 170-ish  Onderland: 10/30/2013

rengirl1978
on 9/8/13 3:15 pm - Denver, CO
VSG on 12/18/13

I am so sorry for all of that pain!! Have you checked into state insurance? I have Medicaid myself.... without it, I would be in big trouble!

On a good note, at least it's 105 pounds less weight on that knee! Good work!

Rhiannon VSG 12/18/13 ~ Mo 1 -35lbs ~ Mo 2 -15lbs ~ Mo 3 -13lbs ~ Mo 4 -8lbs ~ Mo 5 -9lbs ~ Mo 6 -6lbs ~ Mo 7 -8lbs

If we all liked the same things, what fun would life be?

mkvand
on 9/8/13 3:57 pm
VSG on 01/06/14 with

Have you checked to see if you're eligible for medicaid?  If not, starting next month you can sign up for insurance on the new healthcare exchanges.  Coverage doesn't kick in until January, but they're not allowed to exclude pre-existing conditions and there are subsidies to help with the premiums if you make less than 400% of the federal poverty level.

They still won't want to give you a knee replacement at your age, but there are treatments and medications than can help until you're old enough for the replacement. 

Diana E.
on 9/8/13 4:12 pm
VSG on 03/27/13
My husband makes too much for medicaid. And yes my only option right now is to wait it out until he either gets hired on by the state or the ObamaCare kicks in, in January. Just the idea of possibly having to wait until January for some kind of treatment is almost unbearable.

Right now everything is just exasperated because of throwing my back out. It's healing slower than normal because I don't have full use of my right knee and my knee is worse because I can't compensate because of my back. ..LOL, I just can't win right now.

We are going to the OH conference next month and I'm looking at the very real possibility of taking my kids to Disneyland with me in a wheelchair. When we originally planned the trip, I was so excited because I was going to be able to celebrate my accomplishments. ..part of whi*****luded the ability to run around the park with them and go on any ride I want.

Ugh.....I'm usually not a downer like this. I swear. It's just nighttime, my joints start stiffening back up in the evening and I know when I get up in the morning, I have to push through the pain all over again.

HW- 318    SW- 310    CW- 194.4    GW- 170-ish  Onderland: 10/30/2013

mkvand
on 9/8/13 7:51 pm
VSG on 01/06/14 with

I also have osteoarthritis, and my ortho says without significant weight loss I'll need a knee replacement by 40. I have to use a cane sometimes and often feel much older than 35.  I don't know what your current regimin is, but here's mine:

25 mg amitriptyline daily ($4 at walmart)

15 mg meloxicam daily ($4 at walmart)

acetaminophen extended release 3x day ($9 at walmart)

equate arthricream 2-3x day ($3 at walmart)

The amitriptyline and meloxicam do require prescriptions, so you'd have to see a doctor at least once to get them, but it's about $20/month in meds to keep me functioning and working full time.  Because all of these are generic, they actually cost less than what my insurance charges for a med co-pay, so I just pay out of pocket.  The meloxicam is an nsaid, but it's a type that has less risk of ulcer than advil or aleve, so it's safe to take with VSG. None of them are narcotics, so no risk of the doctor accusing you of drug seeking behavior and no interactions if you already have narcotic prescriptions.

I also use alternating heat and ice, massage, and have exercises to strengthen the muscles around the joint.  I do them at home with resistance bands, so no PT co-pays. 

I don't know if any of this info helps you, but I hope you can find some relief without having to wait until January.

Akidd1012
on 9/8/13 11:31 pm - KY
VSG on 07/25/13

A lot of places have free clinics. You could at least get in to see about prescriptions. That will hold you out until you get insurance. Maybe they offer a discount for physical therapy. Also might want to look into doing some low impac****er aerobics. I had a car accident and broke my hip socket and my femur. The hip has plates and screws in it. When I was in physical therapy we used the pool a lot! Amazing the results from that. You are weightless in the water so your knee and back will get more movement and get your muscles going. Plus the water is typically pretty warm, tht helps too! Good luck!

megan.sherman
on 9/9/13 12:42 am
VSG on 05/17/14

I'm so sorry for all your troubles.  Pain is no fun, it's exhausting.

Are there any clinics that offer a sliding fee?  Hope you find a resolution soon.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 80 views