Can certain ailments trigger cravings?

Diana E.
on 9/27/13 11:08 am
VSG on 03/27/13
I am currently dealing with an allergic reaction to a sulfa based antibiotic (ironically I was given this one due to an allergy to penicillin).

Since the reaction started, I have been very hungry and craving carbs of all kinds. Since surgery I have had a pretty easy go at avoiding most carbs and keeping them around 30g per day. But the past few days have been disastrous. Yesterday I had 1/2 grilled cheese and oatmeal. Today I had a small serving of refried beans and brown rice.

Funny thing is, I'm dropping weight like crazy. Since Tuesday, I've lost 4lbs. I'm pretty sure that can be attributed to my fever , full body rash and pain level.

As for the cravings, I'm wondering if the allergic reaction could be triggering it?

HW- 318    SW- 310    CW- 194.4    GW- 170-ish  Onderland: 10/30/2013

linzeelee
on 9/27/13 11:30 am - Omaha, NE
VSG on 05/17/13

No idea, but I hope you feel better soon! Maybe your body is using lots of resources to heal? 

Lindsay ~ 5'4" ~ HW (5/6/13): 280 ~ SW (5/17/13): 273 ~ CW: 140
Losses by month: pre-op: -8  M1: -18  M2: -12  M3: -13  M4: -9  M5: -10  M6: -12
  M7: -14  M8: -12  M9: -2  M10: -8  M11: -9  M12: -2  M13: -6  M14: -7

(deactivated member)
on 9/27/13 4:10 pm

For me food was (okay still is....) a way for me to cope with illness, stress over illness, etc..... I have friends that lose weight when they get sick. Oh, no, not this guy! I tend to eat through a cold, flu, whatever. And I feel like I'm starving and want carbs. ( For years my favorite "sick carb" has been ramen noodles.) Could you perhaps be dealing with something like that? Mental cravings rather than a physical thing? Just an idea......

Whatever it turns out to be, I hope you get through it quickly!

Diana E.
on 9/27/13 4:22 pm
VSG on 03/27/13
I don't think that's what I'm dealing with. .....but it doesn't mean I'm not lying to myself either. I'm just extremely thankful that my weight loss has turned into hyper drive at the moment. I do know that is certainly not from increased activity! I've been mostly in bed for the past 2 days. Movement seems to make me itchier.

PS- our trip to the conference *might* be salvaged after all. My husband has a pretty strong job lead. We are going to re address the topic on Monday to decide if it's worth taking the leap of faith to go.

Tracy D.
on 9/27/13 10:01 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Another thing to consider - antibiotics of all types strip your gut of the good bacteria/flora and this can cause a lot of excess acid to occur.  Acid, as we all learn, can certainly mimic intense hunger.  That could be a contributing factor to you wanting to eat more.   Put a lot of good, plain yogurt into that tummy to build up the good bacteria. 

And I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you on the trip!  Sending you good thoughts...

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

chanteuse1
on 9/27/13 9:02 pm - LA
VSG on 09/05/12

Diana, you didn't say what the antibiotic was for.  I'm usually given antibiotics AND A STEROID INJECTION when I have sinusitis.........and the steroids ALWAYS trigger hunger.  Just a thought.

Diana E.
on 9/28/13 1:31 am
VSG on 03/27/13
Iwas on a sulfa based antibiotic. .don't remember the exact name. But no steroid. In fact, I need a steroid injection. That's what cleared up my rash last time. I'm thinking today will be my last bad rash day. I'm starting to see signs of improvement.

Nmmsg
on 9/27/13 9:24 pm
VSG on 07/09/13

Most of your carbs sound ok- maybe not so much the grilled cheese but not too bad.  I am allowed good carbs- the refried beans , brown rice and oatmeal sound ok.  Some people find when they shake up their daily diet they start losing.Hope you feel better.

Nancy

Learn from your family history and rewrite yours!

Keith L.
on 9/28/13 1:00 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Sure! Remember not all cravings are because we are fat and want a cookie. Sometimes cravings are your bodies way of telling you that you are lacking some vitamins or other nutrients. Pay attention to what you are craving. Is it a specific food or flavor? What nutritious food goes to that craving that your body knows it can get what it needs. 

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 89 views