stomach acid - hunger

sillymilly
on 9/27/13 12:33 pm - NC
VSG on 07/17/13

I've been reading a lot on here that we're not really hungry, it's just stomach acid.  It got me wondering if maybe that's been the problem for some of us all along?  We could never tell the difference, so ate even when we weren't hungry and that's how we got overweight in the first place?

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Highest weight:  287    Surgery weight:  279   Current weight:  150

Heather_Austin
on 9/27/13 4:13 pm - Austin, TX
VSG on 08/26/13

Maybe - I know there was a component where I just never felt hunger before.  I also know that I would eat and tried never to eat to fullness, but even if I did I was still hungry a three or so hours later.  What I do know, is that I used to OBSESS over food all of the time.  When I was on Weigh****chers - I'd track it like crazy.  When I was "off plan" - I'd just wait until my next meal!  Since the sleeve 1-month ago, I don't worry about food any more.  I went though some mental hunger in weeks 2-3 that are over.   I still think about food a lot but it has shifted into cooking!  It's hilarious because I hated cooking before and now I think the inner chemist in me (I am a Chemical Engineer afterall) wants to expirement with stuff. 

Anyway, I know I was overweight and then obese because of compulsive thinking about food.  I know that the sleeve might only fix this for me for a while but it's working and I'm not going to stretch it out!  I'm so happy I did this.  My days of being tied down to food are over.  I felt the same way when I quit smoking - no longer a hostage.

Heather - Austin, TX

Deckeriv
on 9/27/13 8:56 pm - TX
VSG on 03/26/13

I'm sure acid was one of the hunger triggers before surgery. Although I had a hundred triggers and that's why I was fat so I'm also sure acid wasn't the only one.

I like the way you think though. When I feel "hunger" now after six months, I realize it's usually because I need water and not food. Before I would get a cheeseburger. angry

800 calories and less than 20 net carbs is the shizzle

mkvand
on 9/27/13 10:13 pm
VSG on 01/06/14 with

I wondered about this myself, so I tried taking a PPI to see what happened.  I didn't lose any weight, but I did give myself heartburn. After running my little "experiment," I did some research.  It turns out PPIs have a rebound effect and even if you don't have acid problems before taking them, you will when you stop.

jenlaur1
on 9/27/13 10:58 pm - Westborough, MA
VSG on 08/19/13

I'd like to know if there is any fact to this...since day one really...I've had a 'hunger' like feeling in my stomach when it's empty.  Not even water gets rid of it..just eating something.  More often than not, I do not eat if I'm in between meals/snacks. I go to see my surgeon for my six week checkup on Thursday, so I'll be asking..but I know the med I'm taking doesn't help with the hunger either.  What's interesting is that with the band, I was never hungry..but now I feel like I am all the time in between meals.  I can ignore it though..although there are times where that is hard to do.  

Highest Wt: 264, band May '05, pre sleeve wt 235, current 189, personal goal 140

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 76 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 279 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 332 views