Football, Wings and Mushed Stage

Breesus9
on 10/10/13 11:36 am
VSG on 10/04/13
So I've never posted before, although I've been lurking for a while, but I wanted to share. I had my surgery last Friday, was in a lot of pain right after, but left the hospital Sunday evening, and due to my job demands, I was back at work Monday. Kind of ridiculous, but I've powered through it and since yesterday, I've felt pretty damn good. I've also been able to handle water/food pretty easily, which has been nice, although I'm worried I'm not the norm and will not be able to lose as well because of this... We'll see.

My program sends you home on a soft, basically pureed, diet. So I've been eating that kind of stuff, as well as some fork-mushed tuna and things like that. So far, so good, no problems.

Anyway, as you maybe can tell from my username and image, I like football...and it's football season...and it aint really football season without wings. So I got a desire for wings, and I came up with this. It's freaking good, full of protein, low carbs, and works for the mushed stage (if you're OK with heat).

Smashed Buffalo Wings:
half cup nonfat greek yogurt
3-4 oz Frank's redhot wing sauce
One Costco can of chicken, fork mashed or blended up
2-3 tbsps lowfat blue cheese crumbles, smashed small (or sub lowfat bc dressing)
(Optional) dash or 3 of celery spices for a hint of celery flavor

Mix it all up in a bowl, dish out your about 3 oz of a serving, save the rest for later or serve guests as a dip with chips.

Hope anyone on the mushed stage who likes wings will enjoy.

And I had a good pureed stage "life hack" the other day. As I said, I went back to work quickly. I had to go on an out of town business trip yesterday for an all day meeting. I was so worried about there being nothing I could eat at the meetings and I couldn't slip away for lunch that was being catered to the meeting. I thought, damn, I'm going to look weird eating nothing and I'll get weak and headachy. And I certainly can't ask for a blender or a glass of skim milk to start stirring in protein powder at the meeting,, right?

Solution: I made 2 or 3 pureed items, went to the drug store and bought those little travel squeezy containers, put the purees in them, and then took them through airport security with me to the meeting. They're perfect sizes too-3 oz! My plan was, if I got desperate, I could sneak away and eat (or squirt!) a few bites.

Luckily, they had some tuna fish catered so I didn't have to resort to squirting food down my gullet in the men's room, but I was prepared! Anyway, even in less desperate cir****tances, I thought this might be a good idea for anyone traveling, as I'm sure airplane food is not too VSG friendly-at least not early on.

Anyway, sorry for the long post. Thanks for having me here. You have all been a huge help with my decision to do this and in my preparations and post op stage so far. Looking forward to losing a ton of wait with all of you fine people!

VSG 10/4/13 - High 300 - Start 275 - Surgery 268 - Goal 175

Member Services
on 10/10/13 1:50 pm - Irvine, CA

Thanks for joining us!  You recipe sounds great.  Congratulations on your surgery and please keep posting, we look forward to your next update.

Nancybefree
on 10/10/13 7:39 pm
VSG on 11/21/12

I love your ingenuity, especially regarding your portable protein.  Really tempted to try your chicken wing puree, although for me I'd have to tone down the heat a bit.  :)

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

mkvand
on 10/10/13 8:18 pm
VSG on 01/06/14 with

I think your portable protein is brilliant.  I'm going to have to try it myself.

claimmaster
on 10/10/13 8:21 pm - OK
VSG on 07/05/13

Welcome, and great job at being prepared.  It can make all the difference!

Jane

Starting weight: 320       Goal weight: 145      Surgery Weight: 298      Current weight: 215         Check out my blog at www.thebariatricvegan.com

Weight loss month 1-22  2-13  3-12  4-16  5-4  6-0  7-7  8-6

Breesus9
on 10/11/13 12:48 am
VSG on 10/04/13

Thanks, everybody!  Glad to have this board as a resource and sounding board for ideas.

candiedtamz
on 10/12/13 9:00 am - TX
VSG on 10/22/13

Hey Breesus!

This is off topic but GOOO SAINTS WHO DAT!!!!!!  

Breesus9
on 10/12/13 9:11 am
VSG on 10/04/13
Oh, I beg to differ. That's NEVER off topic! WHO DAT!!!!!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 75 views