I bought my first pair of size 2 pants, and yet I still feel like a fat hippopotamus

jennlg
on 10/12/13 10:30 am - Nashville, TN
Hi everyone! I had surgery January 9th, and my starting weight was 206. I'm 5'2" and this morning weighed in at 128 pounds. My original goal is 125. I feel like maybe I should get to 120 and re-evaluate once I'm there. I went shopping earlier today because all of my pants are falling off of me! I bought a pair of size 2 pants from The Limited. What I don't understand is why I still feel SO FAT!?!? This is not what I expected at all. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with my weight loss, I just still feel really fat. Even holding the pants up, they look huge to me. I'm in size small and even x-small tops. I was in size 4s last week, but obviously the last few pounds I have lost have dropped me another size. Did anyone else experience this when they got close to goal? I feel like I need to keep losing because I feel frumpy and chubby. But I'm in sizes that I only dreamed of, so it's pretty confusing. Is my brain just not caught up yet?
Nikke2003
on 10/12/13 10:44 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

I think this can be normal, to an extent. However, I will say that it's important to work through these thoughts of still being "fat" because you don't want to go into unhealthy territory. I would highly suggest seeing a therapist if you aren't already because you are a size 2 and an XS and there really isn't much further you can go, know what I mean?

Hang in there!

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

Tracy D.
on 10/12/13 11:19 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13
I think some of this could be normal if your brain hasn't caught up yet. But you could also have body dysmorphic disorder. If you continue to feel this way please get some therapy. You want to be able to enjoy your new body!

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

cece58
on 10/12/13 11:28 am - CA

I still feel "fat" a lot of the time. It's hard after a lifetime of being fat to suddenly see myself as small. I drive people crazy but I try really hard not to ask my husband if I look fat. The other day I was doing some work around the house and I put on an old shirt that I have had for years. I loved the shirt but never could wear it because I couldn't button it up. I have held on to it forever. I put it on and was literally swimming in it. It was huge. So obviously I am not fat anymore. I have never gotten into a size 2 and my lowest weight was 114. I think at 128 and 5'2" in a size 2 is amazing. Congratulations. You will get more used to it as you go. 

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us"
Lisa

LtWeight
on 10/12/13 12:03 pm - MO
VSG on 07/29/13

I hope you don't feel that way long or if you do, please see a therapist to be safe.  I'm somewhere between 5' 2.5" and 5' 3.5" (it's always different at my PCP) and I'm 5' 3" at the bariatric center, it looks like we had a similar starting weight so I'm hoping I will have results very similar to yours.  I can't imagine being able to fit into a size 2 or an XS though but I'd love to reach the weight you have.  Good luck and I hope your self image changes, you should be very proud of your accomplishments!

Member Services
on 10/12/13 12:39 pm - Irvine, CA

Here is a link to some threads by members on the topic of body image.  We hope you find this information helpful:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/search/action,search_oh/?q=Articl e+on+body+image&cx=000946886326336472648%3Ae-vpeg4uyxw&cof=F ORID%3A9

Best wishes.

Mlkpas
on 10/12/13 12:43 pm - Pasadena, CA

I'm about your size (maintaining around 120) and it took me quite some time to stop feeling fat.  I don't feel "fat" any more, but I don't usually feel "thin" or "slim" or "little" or "tiny" or any of the terms that people sometimes use to describe me.  If I had to describe how I feel most of the time, I'd say I feel "on the round side of normal."  Which is fine with me!  LOL  It does take time!

That said, I think the next handful of pounds will make a very big difference in how you look and feel.  I do encourage you to get down to 120 if you can, if only to allow for a little bounce-back.

I'm 5'2" and 55 years old.  VSG 3/17/10

Pebbles4729
on 10/12/13 2:43 pm

You may want to find a good therapist.  It took me getting down to almost 100 lbs and I'm 5'4" before I could actually say that I'm anorexic.  I just kept wanting to have some extra bounce back cushion.  Its been really really tough and it's a place I never thought I would find myself in but here I sit.  For me, the fear was regaining all I lost and also still seeing myself as heavy....  Believe me, getting some help is critical and I sure wish I had done it sooner.

Height 5'4"  HW - 271  SW - 229  CW- 115 (20 lbs below goal)

St 

diana44
on 10/12/13 10:50 pm - GA
VSG on 09/04/13

Would suggest seeking some therapy to address the body image issue.  You've worked hard to lose the weight and it should be celebrated.

Kathy8429
on 10/12/13 11:55 pm

My daughter had anorexia when she was a teenager, I totally blame myself for that but I digress. One thing they had her do to give her an accurate picture of herself was to tape up poster board on a wall and have someone outline her shape. That way she could see how she was actually small. I think this really helped her. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 65 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 249 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 316 views