Can someone explain to me how normal BMI is even possible?

G5x5
on 10/11/13 12:02 am - VA

Okay, by now I'm pretty well indoctrinated in how BMI tables have faults and can't be universally applied.  But as I move into my final stages, and while looking in the mirror, I really begin to wonder whether a normal BMI is achievable or not.

I can live with it if it's not, so all will be good.  However, as I peruse OH, I see more than a few success stories about people who started at my weight, or above, and have worked themselves into a the normal BMI range at some point.  Many of these stories involve a healthier use of exercise and fitness, but there seem to just as many stories of people *****lied mainly on the VSG and diet to achieve this.

So now, as I look in the mirror, I can't help but wonder if the remaining fat really adds up to enough to achieve a normal BMI.  In a couple of months I'll know one way or another, but I was wondering what others thought about this as they passed through this phase.

HW: 255 (6/5/13), SW: 240 (6/19/13), CW: 169 (9/16/14)

M1: -26,  M2: -17,  M3: -5,  M4: -13  M5: -12  M6: -11  M7: -8

M8-10: Skinny Maintenance (10k Training)   M11-13: On Break

M14+: **CROSSTRAINING FOR ALL AROUND FITNESS**

Google NSNG and learn the right way to eat each day

mimij
on 10/11/13 1:25 am - McDonough, GA
VSG on 10/03/12

I am not quite sure what you mean here. I am not sure why a normal BMI would be unachievable, if you want to achieve it that is.

MIMI  Highest weight 215  SW 203  GW 125   M1 -22  M2 -12  M3 -11  M4 -7  M5 -10  M6 -5  M7 -6  M8 -5  M9 -4  M10 -3  In maintenance since June 2013  HT- 5'2"  

OregonGuy2012
on 10/11/13 2:06 am
VSG on 04/04/13

I think the hardest part of getting to the Normal BMI is making it through some of the longer stalls.  Watch what you eat, stay on plan and increase exercise.  Also remember it is not uncommon for may people to gain 5 to 10 pounds by year 2.  So by getting down to that normal BMI you have more room to stay in that comfortable area.  If you stop early, and then gain 10 pound you may not be happy.  Remember this is for your wellbeing.  That includes your health and happiness.  Work the tool and make a personal decision of where you want to be now and in 2 years, 5 years.

best of luck!!!

Tracy D.
on 10/11/13 2:31 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

In my opinion, we should be striving for a healthy percentage of body fat rather than a number on some scale.  Now, having said that, my goal is to get to the top end of my healthy BMI range (135 based on my height).  But I recently had body fat testing done with hydrostatic (underwater) weighing.  And what I found out is that to get to a healthy body fat percentage of 25%, I only need to get to 141 pounds.  The key is that I need to lose FAT, not muscle.  And that's tough when one is severely calorie and carb restricted because it's nearly impossible to build muscle during this time.  

So, I plan to continue in weight loss mode until the end of the year.  Then I'm going back in for another session of underwater body fat testing.  I'm hoping to be at or near my BMI goal weight and I'll be able to see exactly how much muscle I've lost/retained.  Then I can work in maintenance on building muscle...because this girl isn't shooting for skinny by a long shot!  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

shrinking_sarah
on 10/11/13 2:39 am - CA

I do not know how it is possible, I can only tell you that it is. 

I have a pretty low body fat percentage, and based on feedback from body scans, I did some math and did not see how it was possible (mathematically) for me to achieve a healthy BMI.  According to my math, I didn't think I could get below 148 and maintain the body fat required to be healthy.  For my height, healthy BMI is 114-139 lbs.  This morning I weighed 135.8.

How?  I have no freaking clue.  Well, I mean, I eat my program and exercise, but I really thought I'd get to a weight and stop.  My last scan was Sept. 25ish, and I was at 24% body fat.  I'm going to do another in late Oct. b/c they are "on sale" at my gym and see where it is now.  I have no idea how the excess skin impacts those numbers.

Sarah, VSG Dr. Cirangle--12/28/12, HW: 265 SW: 253 GW: 130???

A. Kondrlik
on 10/11/13 7:44 am
VSG on 01/24/13

I think I understand what you are saying.  I weigh 151 right now, the top of my BMI is 141.  There are parts of my body that are REALLY boney.  There are other parts that have a little fat and alot of loose skin.  Is there 10 pounds of fat under there? Sometimes I wonder.  My plan is to stick with my plan and exercise like crazy and see where I land.  So many people have said to me. "Don't lose any more weight"  I just lie and say oh I only want to lose a couple more to give myself some wiggle room. It's coming off slow enough now, they won't even notice (LOL)  I would like to get my body fat percentage checked but have not found anywhere locally to have it done.  That is actually the best barometer to use to find your healthy weight.

Anne

HW 259    GW 145    CW 140.2  Not finished yet?   

happyteacher
on 10/12/13 5:41 am

I think as you close in on the range you will be surprised.  I hit the top of the range (my goal too) and felt great and did not look overweight.  I am now 17 pounds less than that, but I don't really look thinner.  I dropped maybe a half size to a size in slacks.  You may find once you are there it is not a big deal.  Even now, I can see where losing another 20 wouldn't be a bad idea, but I want to keep some extra stored calories for other reasons.   Just keep plugging away at it. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

KathyA999
on 10/12/13 6:06 am

For me it was simply a matter of continuing to eat on plan, no matter what.  The weight took care of itself.  I won't say I was 100%, but probably 95% for the most part, and still am.  As we get further out, we are able to eat more, but as long as the focus is on protein and veggies, I have found the additional volume hasn't translated into significant weight gain. 

Full disclosure, my lowest all-time weight in this process was 132, a weight I didn't expect would last, and for the last year or so I've been maintaining in the 135-140 range, so just a little bounceback.  At one point I did drift up to 147, became alarmed by that, and went on a 30-day Paleo plan, which is essentially a WLS plan, but without dairy, and got back into my 130s within a month.  That was in May, and I've been there ever since.

It can be done!

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 58 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 58 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 234 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 308 views