Carbs daily limit?

Mommydoo
on 11/22/13 6:37 am - OR

How many carbs are you limiting yourselves to?  I just recently have been reading about ketosis - and that we need to keep carbs low to stay in it.  I believe I have never been in it - eeck - and I want to be.  I have only been concerned with calories and protein and just let everything else kind of fall where it may. 

Please let me know what your carbs daily goal/limit is? 

Thank you!!

Kimberly

SophieNJ
on 11/22/13 8:27 am - Parsippany, NJ
VSG on 03/05/13

check with your nutritionist, if you have one, or your doc.  My first 6 months I was under 40 carbs per day.....knew I was in ketosis when people started telling me my breath was bad LOL.  Now my nut says I can go up to 80 (but with good carbs), but I don't usually do that, as I very, very rarely will eat bread, pasta, etc.  I will have some brown rice or quinoa (1/4 cup of either), or fruit, now and then, so if I go over 40, I don't feel guilty about it.

good luck!

Sophie

HW 275 SW 246 CW 162.5  GW 150  ( 5'1"  Over 1 1/2 inch lost in the last few yrs! LOL) lost 50 lbs on my own, stable for 3 yrs, gained back 21 during year b4 surgery.

G5x5
on 11/22/13 9:20 am - VA

I think below 80 and you're still in ketosis but I wouldn't eat that many.  I keep mine around 20 following the low carb route. Ketosis is important to the honeymoon phase so learn about it and stay in it.

HW: 255 (6/5/13), SW: 240 (6/19/13), CW: 169 (9/16/14)

M1: -26,  M2: -17,  M3: -5,  M4: -13  M5: -12  M6: -11  M7: -8

M8-10: Skinny Maintenance (10k Training)   M11-13: On Break

M14+: **CROSSTRAINING FOR ALL AROUND FITNESS**

Google NSNG and learn the right way to eat each day

Mommydoo
on 11/22/13 10:46 am - OR

Thank you both very much!! It makes be sad that I am 4.5 months out and was never told about this.  But thank you.  I am glad I saw something on here and posed the question.

I appreciate your responses and to think - my clinic said for me to stay of the internet support sites.  If I didn't check today and yesterday I would have never asked the question and perhaps never changed the one thing that might just get the numbers (lbs) to drop.

Thank you so much!

Here it goes...let's see how this works :)

califsleevin
on 11/22/13 2:52 pm - CA

I started out much like you with only controlling calories and protein and that worked just fine. I had no particular goals or limits on carbs, and were typically in the 80-100 g range. Likewise, carb counting and ketosis were not imperatives of my doc's plan, and his results are as good as anyone out there and better than most; occasionally someone will bring up the classic ketosis symptoms in the support group meetings, and the response is simply that their diet is low on carbs. No congratulations that you're in "fat burning mode" (because you are already in fat burning mode when you have a suitable caloric deficit.)  When my wife and I started this journey some ten years ago (she had her surgery around eight years ago,)  we went with a more moderate approach emphasizing sustainability over the more short term oriented diets like the Atkins/ketogenic diets that offer rapid loss followed by regain when attempting to re-orient back to a normal healthy diet, and indeed that has worked well with a fairly seamless transition to maintenance with little of the craving and hunger issues that many report when trying to add back those healthy foods that they have been lacking during their loss program.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 81 views