Appetite Suppressants for Veterans?

candiedtamz
on 11/26/13 8:51 am - TX
VSG on 10/22/13

Has any Vet out there ever decided to go the "prescription for appetite suppressants route" if having trouble with losing weight and/or giving in to increased hunger? I'm curious about this because it seems that after a year or so people say their sleeve isn't as tight anymore and they can consume more food. I'm only 4 weeks out but I know falling off the wagon can happen to anyone at some point once the year of honeymooning is over. I'm the type of person who would do whatever it takes to maintain or get back on the weight wagon (as long as its healthy and safe, that is). I personally would take the meds if I had to make sure I didn't fail considering I'm a cash pay VSG'er. I just want to make sure I have a good contingency plan should the unexpected happen. What are your thoughts/experiences?

hollirrose
on 11/26/13 9:51 am
VSG on 04/21/12
I am not against pills. I took them before and they worked for awhile. Heres the deal...Im 18 months out. I can eat a large amount of the "bad" things but I can only eat 3-4 oz of meat. I never see another pill in my future. If I want to lose weight I go back on plan (ie dense protein). No pills necessary! Best of luck. Set up good eating habits now and you also wont need a back up plan.
happyteacher
on 11/26/13 10:13 am

Agree with hollirose. If you eat dense protein first with fresh veggies it would be no problem to lose weight 2 years out.  The weight gain or cessation of loss is typically caused from eating slider foods (carbs, minimal dense protein).  My restriction is still excellent and there simply is not a need for a diet pill.  When I fall of the wagon and there are periods where I struggle several consecutive days, I crawl back on the wagon and adjust.  Your contingency plan should be to go back to plan and exercise :)

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

candiedtamz
on 11/26/13 10:18 am - TX
VSG on 10/22/13
Thanks so much for the open and very honest feedback! I'm personally hoping to never need them either. I'm determined to be successful!

(deactivated member)
on 11/26/13 12:43 pm

I am about 4.5 years out and so far I don't need them.  I am maintaining at 105 lbs. ( I am short) without too much difficulty.  However, I do keep an eye on what is being developed and there are some pretty good options that are in trials now and will be available to us soon.  I never say never.

mickeymantle
on 11/26/13 2:22 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

you have 1 -11/2 years to retrain your eating habits use them

if you have reached maintance and your stomach has stretched to 8-10 oz and you fill it with 4 oz protein and the rest low carb veggies and fruit ,you should not gain

but if you eat garbage even at 1 month out you can gain a lot

I bet at a month I could have eaten a pint of Hagendaz chocolate  chocolate chip with no problem , I never tried it and never will every few month I have 1 spoon full as a treat , it does not trigger me to eat more carbs and I eat it after a measured meal

if you measure and track for the rest of your life a stretched sleeve will not be a problem , just because more fits in does not me you have to put more in

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

candiedtamz
on 11/26/13 8:30 pm - TX
VSG on 10/22/13
I totally agree. I'm trying to get a jump on doing all the right things but also knowing what's out there in case I run into any issues where I need a little more help. Thanks so much for your very valuable feedback.

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 44 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 44 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 195 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 281 views