Ok...I Get This

Melody2
on 1/30/14 1:39 am
VSG on 04/10/13

I had surgery last April and the weight loss has been great; however, things started to slow down around November.  I had stopped tracking my food, water and exercise (well...what little exercise I was getting) and let old habits creep back in....stopped reading posts on this site, etc.  The scale went up 2 lbs and stayed there for a month!  Yes...I panicked.  Ok, 2 pounds is not a lot but when you're used to seeing the scale go the other direction...well....

Then I remembered everything I've learned from others on the site and redirected by steps...began to log food again on myfitnesspal, drink water, focus on protein, etc.  I'm walking an hour on the treadmill each day at a brisk 4.0 mph, keeping my calories under 1,000, and focusing on 70 - 80 grams of protein.  Here's what I've learned:

- Eating more protein keeps you satisfied longer and  you definitely know when you've had too much.  I had begun to think the sleeve wasn't working....I could eat anything (except salad) with no problems...didn't feel that "fullness" I was used to before.  Then, I realized I was eating junk food--baked chips, cake, etc.  (Think sludge in your tummy...no nutritional value.)  Sure the quantities were small but I didn't really feel it in my tummy.

- Exercising....there is no easy way...I didn't like it at first but I did not give myself an option...each time I had the thoughts, "I'll go tomorrow...I'll start Monday...I'll just work out 10 minutes," I would immediately think of a mental stop sign and switch my thoughts to how I felt after exercise.  It's working...I can actually workout for a solid hour now.  If you're a treadmill person, invest in an iPad and keep it on the treadmill with you....it does distract you...I read, listen to music, catch up on the news, etc.  I also use the "free" exercise equipment at my church.  Most large churches have an exercise room that nobody uses.

- I sleep better; I feel better

So...here's my bottom line....the sleeve didn't stop working...I stopped working.  Eating junk food and following the plan was...well....just cheating me out of becoming healthy.  I was cheating me....sometimes you have to own it.

honeybeeme
on 1/30/14 1:46 am
VSG on 01/22/14

I sure appreciate your honest post. Thanks for the reminder. I will remember...... 

Sandy M.
on 1/30/14 1:56 am - Detroit Lakes, MN
Revision on 05/08/13

You got this!

Height 5'4"  HW:223 Lap band 2006, revised to Sleeve 5/8/2013, SW:196

schmidtavon
on 1/30/14 3:42 am
VSG on 02/10/14 with
Thank you for this post! I am having the sleeve on Feb 10 and I think this was helpful!

Robin Schmidt

angie M.
on 1/30/14 5:53 am - TX
VSG on 12/02/13

"So...here's my bottom line....the sleeve didn't stop working...I stopped working.  Eating junk food and following the plan was...well....just cheating me out of becoming healthy.  I was cheating me....sometimes you have to own it."

Thanks so much for sharing.  I had to travel out of state this past weekend.  It was hard to hit my protein and water.  I didn't have the prep time I usually do for the week - and I've definitely noticied it.  But it has nothing to do with my sleeve - it's me.  I makes me realize, early on in this process, that my success is dependent upon ME, just me.  Again, thank you...

VSG: 12/2/13    HW: 268  SW: 239  GW: 145 

claudiaes
on 1/30/14 10:42 pm - ddo, Canada
VSG on 11/18/13

thank you for your honesty, early out is easy to comply but is the long run that counts! and I know you will succeed! 

Most Active