Sick of being sick

iammommy
on 2/3/14 3:30 am

I had my VSG on 12/16.  All was well, and I was doing great until 3 weeks ago.  Got influenza A (yes, I was vaccinated) and was SICK.  Ended up in the ER a week later with respiratory troubles.  Then I developed a cold, which has now blossomed into the mother of all sinus infections.  Prior to becoming ill, I was able to eat small measured bites of solid meats (chicken, pork, even beef) and a bite or two of veggies.  Since being ill, though, I have trouble tolerating almost everything- seriously, my restriction is through the roof, even with things like greek yogurt.  I constantly feel overstuffed after teeny bites of things, and reflux is BAD.  I'm on pepcid twice a day.  I know some of this may be due to the meds I was put on for the illness (steroids, abx).  I am losing weight nicely (have lost 36 pounds since surgery), but at this point I know I'm not healthy.  No way I'm getting enough protein/nutrients in.  When I first got sick, I just focused on staying hydrated and didn't worry as much about protein because I felt so so sick and thought it would just be a short time.  Now that I'm going on 3 weeks of this I'm starting to worry about nutrition more.  I'm even starting to regret a little because I'm so miserable so much of the time after I eat.  Anyone else have this big restriction thing with illnesses?  It will get better, right?

I did talk to the surgeon's PNP about all of this last week and she seemed to think it would get better.

emelar
on 2/3/14 3:46 am - TX

Sorry you've been so sick, and yes, it will get better.  If I were you, I'd stop trying to eat, get some protein drinks that I can tolerate, and chug several of them down a day.  Chicken broth at this time of year is a favorite.  It doesn't have a lot of protein, but every little bit helps!  As long as you can get some protein in, keep yourself hydrated, and take your supplements (vitamins, calcium, etc.), you'll be fine.  Your body will go to your fat for energy, and you should be feeling better and eating again long before any deficiencies show up.  Feel better soon!

Rose_Dawson
on 2/3/14 6:45 am - MN
VSG on 10/16/13

I practically lived off of chicken broth flavored Unjury protein when I came down with the flu shortly after my procedure - my way of killing two birds with one stone. :)

freckles1973
on 2/3/14 3:52 am - Canada

Oh being sick like this just sucks!! It can throw off everything. I can only suggest staying nourished the best way you can now. Even if that means drinking your protein and nutrients and to begin inrtroducing soft and solid foods in again slowly. Sounds to me like you need to focus on recovery and gaining your strength back. The extreme restriction could be from not eating like you had been. I know when I'm not feeling well and have loss of appetite and mostly on liquids my restriction is crazy strong when I'm feeling better and go back to solids. Takes me a few days to get used to food again.

It will get better :-)

Feel better soon!

HW : 246 PW:220 SW:208 CW:130

VSG surgery on 09/10/2013 with Dr. Henri Atlas

Luvs2Cruise
on 2/3/14 11:25 am
VSG on 10/30/13

I am in the middle of a two week asthma/respiratory flair up...quickly approaching week 3. I am working really hard on not being admitted to the hospital over this respiratory stuff.  

With all of the meds I am taking right now (3rd round of antibiotics, 2nd round of high taper dose Prednisone) the thought of solid food makes me want to yak....and I can't taste it anyway.  So, I have been living off of Elina's Green Soup (a godsend during this illness), my wide variety of Protein Shakes and lots of hot decaf tea.   I have hit 80 grams of protein daily and gotten in 100 oz of fluid.  When I had my 3 month appt with my surgeon on Thursday, he said I was right on track for meeting my nutritional goals while treating an illness. 

VSG on 10/30/13 Surgeon: Erik Throop    "There are plenty of difficult obstacles in your path. Don't allow yourself to become one of them." ~ Ralph Marston

HW: 447 YIKES!!!! SW: 293  CW: 140 GW:140?  100% on Plan -100% of the time!!!

Losses by Months: (5' 1") WL Pre-Op-154  M1-28​, M2-12, M3-18, M4-15, M5-14.5, M6-13.5, M7-10, M8-13, M9-14, M10-10, M11-1 (What the heck??)  M12-4as of today's date     

Most Active