WLS 2/11/14 Trouble Drinking

losingthefatt
on 2/12/14 6:54 am - NJ
VSG on 02/11/14

Hello! Yay I got sleeved yesterday! I was able to get the crystal light down before I left the hospital. Afterwards I informed the nurse that I was feeling some pain. I am now trying to drink very small sips of water but that too is somewhat uncomfortable. Is this normal? Did you experience this? If so, how long did it last? Should I call my surgeon or am I being a crybaby? Thanks and good luck on your weightloss journey!...Kim

LessEb2Luv
on 2/12/14 6:58 am
VSG on 02/06/14 with

definitely call before you get dehydrated. 

Bearz
on 2/12/14 7:06 am

It did hurt at first  because the tub was down you thought. Ho****er or hot soup helped me. Go if u drink hot broth it will help.

hope you feel better soon.

emelar
on 2/12/14 7:11 am - TX

Pretty normal.  Your stomach is swollen and irritated and generally unhappy.  Take a teaspoon and feed yourself tiny sips.  And definitely try different temperatures - cold works for some, hot for some, room temp for some.  How long will it last?  Until the swelling goes down!

ambrosia79
on 2/12/14 7:29 am - PA

Seems everyone is different when it comes to how fast this gets better, but by day 3, it was considerably better for me.  I am 2 weeks out today and for over a week I have been able to take normal sized sips of water and can drink 8 ounces in less than 15 minutes with no pain.  I was one that room temp water was the easiest for me to swallow.  Now, temp doesn't matter.  Congrats on getting sleeved!

losingthefatt
on 2/12/14 8:19 am - NJ
VSG on 02/11/14

Thanks for your replies! I'll call the office before the weekend rolls around if it's not a little easier by Friday! Ki 

Scribbler
on 2/12/14 8:43 am

I had a little trouble getting liquids in at first, but this subsided greatly by day 4. Your swelling is peaking right now in your new tummy. Go slow, and try warm liquid (I swear by unsweetened herbal tea!) I was sleeved on the 4th and while I can't GULP liquids like I used to, I can take small sips comfortably at a week or so out.

~~ VSG February 4, 2014 ~~ 30lb. lost since surgery ~~
~~ you will never regret not eating something ~~
~~if you're light enough, you just might be able to fly~~
~~nothing tastes as good as skinny feels~~
HW: 303 || SW: 255 || CW: 225 || GW: 120 || UGW: 105

BeeSweet
on 2/12/14 10:31 am

Warm herbal peppermint tea was my life saver the first few days!

Scribbler
on 2/12/14 10:37 am

Peppermint is irritating to me, but I swear by chamomile. It's almost minty, refreshing and relaxing.

miss_muffet
on 2/12/14 10:33 am - WA
VSG on 12/31/13

Definetily track how many ounces you're getting in so you can tell the doctor or nurse. Mine also asks if my urine is clear. You are not a crybaby, dehydration is very serious. Your surgeon's staff is there to help you. 

It will get easier; my first week out was a sturggle to get my fluids in. I don't think I got the minimum required by my doctor until about day 7 or 8.

Congrats and take care. :)

H 5' 4" | A 49+ | HW 250 | SW 226 | CW 171

Goal 140 / Fantasy Goal 128

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 137 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 401 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 428 views