Last Week of Cooking!

Gwen M.
on 2/16/14 1:09 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I had the realization just now, after opening my menu.doc file to plan meals for the week, that this will be my last week of cooking for the next 6-7 weeks.  o_O  That's quite the shock for me.  (I don't start my pre-op diet until the 3rd of March, but I'm out of town next week to care for my dad during his chemo treatment, so while I'll be cooking for my parents, I won't be cooking at home.)  While I -could- cook for my family during my pre-op and immediate post-op diets, I'm not that much of a masochist - or that kind of a homemaker!!

If you are the sort of person that stocked your freezer with meals for your family before you had surgery, what sorts of foods did you make?  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Heatherdawn
on 2/16/14 6:14 am - PA

It is just my husband and I and he can barely boil water. Since I usually cook enough for leftover I would portion out another meal for him and freeze so he can just thaw and reheat. I also bought him a new George Foreman grill( it's the only thing he used in his bachelor days) then stocked the freezer with individually wrapped chicken breast, turkey burgers, sausage patties, ham steaks etc. So far we are day 5 of my liquid pre op diet and he is content. 

LosingSarah
on 2/16/14 7:11 am - Moorhead, MN
VSG on 10/16/13

My hubby cooks meals part of the time, so most of the time he just made meals for him and our daughter when I couldn't eat regular food. Otherwise, I made a big batch of chili an froze a bunch of portions, I made meatballs to freeze, white bean soup with italian sausage, split pea soup with ham, and some stuffed peppers (with grated zucchini and carrots, and chopped mushrooms, onions and garlic instead of rice).

Plus, once I was on pureed (my docs plan allowed pureed after a week) I was able to just puree most of these things. Then and now I make these things with lean meats (lean beef or lean ground chicken). 

MAchick
on 2/16/14 10:44 am
VSG on 01/27/14

I love cooking. My guy doesn't cook at all though. I had a few things in the freezer for him,  Like turkey tetrazzini, turkey soup,  lentil soup. I'm still in liquids but i made us a really delicious French onion soup. And he's been having a lot of sandwiches lol.

Gwen M.
on 2/17/14 1:46 am
VSG on 03/13/14

My family LOVES turkey (or chicken) tetrazzini.  I have a few trays of it in the freezer already :D  I've also made enchiladas,  tons of chili, lentil and sausage soup.. I've been trying to make double batches of everything that freezes well!

French onion soup sounds like an AMAZING idea.  I'll definitely try to remember that when I'm in liquids/pureeds.  My family aren't lovers of soup, but they also understand that they've got to suffer/sacrifice for the first four weeks after surgery!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 268 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 328 views