college meal plans

Effie H.
on 2/27/14 6:30 am

hi everyone!

i'm getting my sleeve in may hopefully, and im transferring colleges in august. i will only be having one meal per day, following my surgeons instructions. the rest will be protein shakes. now my question is - do you think my college will accommodate me? usually you're put into a 19 meals per week require meal plan. has anyone had any experience with this? 

mickeymantle
on 2/27/14 8:18 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

when my son lived in the dorms he had the food plan and they served the most unhealthy food , everything was fried and covered in cheese and high carb

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Scribbler
on 2/27/14 8:50 am

That would be tough! Can you opt out of the meal plan? I don't think you could eat enough to justify the costs, and in my experience, college food is unpredictable at best and bordering on poison at worst. On my campus, I worked in the OEO and we were always happy to accommodate special needs students. I think having had bariatric surgery, and being on a special diet directed by your doctor, counts as a special need. Doesn't hurt to ask!

G5x5
on 2/27/14 11:04 am - VA

My guess is you should opt out strictly based on price alone.  It's doubtful you'll get the value out of any meal plan they offer with the limited food intake.  You'd be overpaying for food.

HW: 255 (6/5/13), SW: 240 (6/19/13), CW: 169 (9/16/14)

M1: -26,  M2: -17,  M3: -5,  M4: -13  M5: -12  M6: -11  M7: -8

M8-10: Skinny Maintenance (10k Training)   M11-13: On Break

M14+: **CROSSTRAINING FOR ALL AROUND FITNESS**

Google NSNG and learn the right way to eat each day

happyteacher
on 2/28/14 8:47 am

Once upon a time I was a freshman in college- a few decades ago.  We had a required meal plan of 21 meals a week.  One guy got out of it due to diet restrictions.  I think if you contact the school and provide medical documentation you have a real chance of avoiding that cost.  My son's school charges almost $9 a meals, and requires that we pay it.  He could eat out every day for far less.  Ugh!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 2/28/14 9:50 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I don't imagine it should be an issue if you have medical documentation. My college required all freshmen and sophomores to live on-campus and have a similar meal plan, but I had a friend with serious food sensitivities (gluten + soy) so she was able to opt out of the cafeteria so that she buy her own food. She took a note from her doctor to someone in the financial aid office, since they did the cafeteria billing along with everything else, and they helped her take care of the exemption.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Effie H.
on 2/28/14 12:53 pm

oh yeah that sounds totally doable! maybe i can get my surgeon to write a special letter or something. thanks guys :)

Most Active